• Did they tear down the old Wonderland Station?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by RenegadeMonster

This past week I have noticed something on the Newburyport/Rockport line. The old Wonderland Station we pass everyday appears to be gone.

What happened?
  by BostonUrbEx

You mean the dog track? Yes, Wonderland Dog Track is in the process of demolition. It was supposed to be demolished years ago, and the city has finally put enough pressure on the owners to force them into demolition. Nearly everything was beyond repair and the structures were too dangerous to even walk through. Wonderland will likely be redeveloped into a mixed use area.
  by RenegadeMonster

Wait, so that old small wooden structure that was run down and have "Wonderland" painted on the side wasn't a station? It was a dog track?

I always thought that was the old Wonderland Station?
  by BostonUrbEx

Only the Blue Line has ever had a Wonderland Station -- the BBRB&L and Eastern/B&M never had stations named Wonderland. The Blue Line's Wonderland has always been right where it is today, since 1954. I don't believe the Eastern or B&M ever had a station near Beach St -- just at Winthrop Ave and maybe Revere St for that area. The BRB&L had a station at/near Revere St, but it was named Bath House.
  by RenegadeMonster

BostonUrbEx wrote:Only the Blue Line has ever had a Wonderland Station -- the BBRB&L and Eastern/B&M never had stations named Wonderland. The Blue Line's Wonderland has always been right where it is today, since 1954. I don't believe the Eastern or B&M ever had a station near Beach St -- just at Winthrop Ave and maybe Revere St for that area. The BRB&L had a station at/near Revere St, but it was named Bath House.

Thanks for the info,

I never thought it was part of the B&M, but the Blue Line back in the early days when it was trolly / streetcar.

Also, I have over heard people on the train call it the "Old Wonderland Station"
  by MBTA3247

The trolley loop was variously known as Bath House Loop and Revere Beach Loop, and was roughly where the eastern busway at the current Wonderland station is. It would not have had any connection with the East Boston Tunnel when that was still being used by streetcars, as the tunnel was BERy trackage and the loop was Bay State/Eastern Mass trackage.