• CIRCUS TRAIN Information-2017

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Liquidcamphor

The Circus train is gone and I decided to move this topic to the standard discussion part of this forum. Does anyone have any more photos of this train on Long Island?
  by nyandw

Liquidcamphor wrote:The Circus train is gone and I decided to move this topic to the standard discussion part of this forum. Does anyone have any more photos of this train on Long Island?
Thanks, LC... :-) I'm in the process of putting together a history of the circus,via the LIRR, and this may help concerning 2017. Seems the photo sightings, both inbound/outbound this year are well below the usual levels of past years? Anyone?
  by Morisot

nyandw - for historical accuracy, the train actually departed a little after 8:30pm (not 10:01) --- That from an eyewitness who was "chasing the train" and had to call people and tell them not to come at 10, because the train was already gone. And, he said it looked like a ghost train...no lights on in the passenger cars, no one waving and shouting "hi, see you next year" from the doorways as had been the case in the past.
  by Backshophoss

Believe there was only the animal care providers and a small "caretaker" staff on board.
Most of the passenger cars were dropped at Oak Island,so the cars that housed the animals and staff cars went home with the equipment flat
cars to Florida.
Figure on the remaining passenger cars moving on regular freights to Oak Island for final delivery from florida.
  by Ðauntless

Animals left by truck (and have been for close to a year), nobody on the train after Newark.

As from an RBB employee.
  by Datenail

Strates Shows is negotiating with the railroad to come to LI by train. Its possible that they will be here next year and the move will be similar to the circus train. So dont break your cameras yet. we had the same engineer that ran the train out, run the train back. he had to sign a letter promising that he wouldnt blow the horn unnecessarily or else he wasnt going to be allowed to operate.
  by onorclose7

I'm surprised that he didn't bring his own horn and swap it out
  by Datenail

That engineer changes the horns on the locomotives? I heard about an engineer doing this and now we know who it is.

Who are strates shows? I hear upstairs that it would be something similar to the circus train.
  by Backshophoss

Strates Shows is a smaller version of RB&BB circus and tends to use their train as an operations base,using trucks to go to venues
with in a XX miles radius of where the train is parked. Most of the venues they go to are smaller then the Nassau Coliseum.
  by onorclose7

Re: CIRCUS TRAIN Information-2017
Postby Datenail » Fri May 26, 2017 5:01 pm

That engineer changes the horns on the locomotives? I heard about an engineer doing this and now we know who it is.

There's a few that do that
  by workextra

That was a different era. The legal beagles and elected official today willfully believe that lowering the maximum horn decibel level to 110db is safe and effective. When the educated decision would be to bank solinoid switches and use the older style quill-able air valves to let the engineer determine the intensity of the horn for the specific situation as he's trained to do.
There were a few engineers who had fun with horns, let's be fair and not single anyone out, espicslly one who's still here. Today the odds of changing horns out is not as easy as in the past. Can it be done yes. But the odds of getting caught by the eye spy in the sky I much greater.
Enough said. Back on topic.
It's sad to see the circus go. But they were erased by the circus of animal rights activists and the left who continuously attack this great nation trying to spark a second American civil war.
  by krispy

Strates may have been here in the past, although not a rail move. Was that the circus who had an incident out in Suffolk in '95 with an escaped elephant? I remember pranking someone at that time about how the critter liked to push over leaning interlocking towers
  by DutchRailnut

Strates is carnival, not circus
  by scopelliti

Can we can the political b**ls**t? Seems like there isn't a place anywhere on the net where one can avoid this stuff. This is a railroad forum..you know... steel rails, diesel and steam engines.. passenger and freight cars. No PETA (pro or con). No NRA (pro or con). No Trump (pro or con). Love of trains (especially LIRR in this case) is what unites us. The other stuff just divides us.