• Are the Silverliner 3s coming back into service?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Blackstreet

I'm pretty sure people are gonna reply no in this thread but are the Silverliner 3 trains coming back into service?

Not too long ago, as i was taking a ride home on the Regional Rail (which luckily was a Silverliner 4, the trains i love!), i seen a train that looks like this...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5046/5254 ... 9986_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, the picture is of a Silverliner 1, i was unable to find a good S3 pic. Actually, i'm not even 100% sure if or not the trains i saw were a S3 but the picture is kind of close. Also, that isn't the first time in the not-too-distant past i seen a Silverliner of an earlier model than a 4 on the tracks. I remember i was taking a train to Market East Station about a year ago, i was fixing up my hair, checking myself out in the window and whatnot (we were in the tunnel where it was dark enough that i could see my reflection in the window) and saw a train that looks like that picture!

If the Silverliner 1-3 cars are out of commission what are they doing back out on the tracks? I would like it if they do come back because they look better than the Silverliner 5s.
  by danquagl

The Silverliner III's, as well as the Silverliner II's, have been retired from service since June 2012. Most of them are scrapped, so obviously, they will never come back to service again.
  by Backshophoss

Was there a pair of SL-III(or -II's) kept at Wayne Shop as shop switchers?
  by Blackstreet

Backshophoss wrote:Was there a pair of SL-III(or -II's) kept at Wayne Shop as shop switchers?
I don't know where that is but i don't think so, but both times i saw the older model trains, i was on the Wilmington-Newark train and saw them on the tracks where trains would normally run.
  by dcipjr

There's a Silverliner II and a Silverliner III parked out behind Wayne Electric. I think they were getting preserved / donated to a museum, but they've been there since 2012, and haven't moved, nearly 5 years later. I'm actually kind of surprised SEPTA hasn't scrapped them yet.

I miss the IIs and IIIs—though likely, very few people outside this board would ever say that—but they're long gone.
  by JeffK

Even if there were some still in operating condition, they don't meet current standards. They could only be put in revenue service with a special waiver, assuming the FRA would even consider granting it.
  by ChrisinAbington

If it was recently seen in the tunnel, my guess was it was some kind of leased/bought MARC rolling stock that the OP misidentified as a SEPTA SLIII. That's the only recent unusual equipment I can think of that would have been in the tunnel. "Blackstreet", did you see any SEPTA markings? (I wouldn't think their stuff looks like a SLII or III, but who am I to judge)
  by R36 Combine Coach

scotty269 wrote:You probably saw http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2156174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree Comarrow 610 (ex-NJT 5160) seems likely, especially since it recently has gotten a pantograph mount on the cab end and has its center door missing, so this is a Comarrow that can resemble a Silverliner III (but with small windows).
  by Blackstreet

ChrisinAbington wrote:"Blackstreet", did you see any SEPTA markings? (I wouldn't think their stuff looks like a SLII or III, but who am I to judge)
I wish i could tell you for sure that i saw any Septa markings. My memory is hazy since it wasn't that recent but it wasn't that long ago either but all i remember was that it was a gray and had the oval-shaped vehicles—clearly the characteristics of a Silverliner vehicle of a Septa train. I honestly can't recall seeing a Septa logo or anything.

Sorry.
  by BuddCar711

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I agree Comarrow 610 (ex-NJT 5160) seems likely, especially since it recently has gotten a pantograph mount on the cab end and has its center door missing, so this is a Comarrow that can resemble a Silverliner III (but with small windows).
I think resembles a Silverliner IV more than a III.
  by Head-end View

dcipjr, you miss the Silverliner II's and III's? I assume they must have been good equipment to operate? Is that the reason, or they just have sentimental value?
  by MACTRAXX

BuddCar711 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:I agree Comarrow 610 (ex-NJT 5160) seems likely, especially since it recently has gotten a pantograph mount on the cab end and has its center door missing, so this is a Comarrow that can resemble a Silverliner III (but with small windows).
I think resembles a Silverliner IV more than a III.
711: No. SEPTA 610 and the Silverliner Three cars were products of St.Louis Car Company...

The 20 car Silverliner Three MU fleet were built in 1967 for PRR services and as most know
ended up in SEPTA RRD service in time. (Numbers: 220-239)

The 34 car Arrow One fleet were built originally for NJDOT in 1969 for the two electrified PC
commuter routes - NYP to Trenton and South Amboy - and would be followed by the GE Arrow
Two and Three fleets during the second half of the 1970s. (Numbers: 100-133 later 500-533)

The A1 cars were stored for reasons such as being incompatible with the other two MU car types
and then converted into standard coaches during the 1980s. After NJT retired them some ended
up in Montreal AMT commuter service - and most interestingly some ended up being sold in the
used equipment market to Caltrans which rebuilt them for Amtrak California intercity service.

SEPTA 610 - and for that matter former NJT A1 601 - are used in Wire Train work services.
More then likely the OP saw the 610 and because of the "family" resemblance thought this
was a S3 in service. I knew it was not one of the 5 retired 1958 Budd Pioneer MUs which
now have been gone since the early 1990s. That photo above from the OP on the Airport
Line could be from a NRHS Philadelphia Chapter farewell fantrip back then.

MACTRAXX
  by BuddCar711

MACTRAXX wrote:711: No. SEPTA 610 and the Silverliner Three cars were products of St.Louis Car Company...
Well 610 maybe a St. Louis product, it still resembles a IV than a III. It has the same shape and size windows as the IV, plus it has the bulkhead where the center door should be like the IV.
  by MACTRAXX

BuddCar711 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:711: No. SEPTA 610 and the Silverliner Three cars were products of St.Louis Car Company...
Well 610 maybe a St. Louis product, it still resembles a IV than a III. It has the same shape and size windows as the IV, plus it has the bulkhead where the center door should be like the IV.
711: Comarrow 610 originally had double center doors when it was an Arrow One MU.
The "bulkhead" or "hatch" cover in the center door area was installed in the NJT Comarrow
conversions during the 1980s. The Silverliner Four cars were built with provisions for future
center doors that were never installed. In the Comarrow rebuilding the interior vestibule area
in the center was removed in favor of a full length coach adding more seating in the process.

The Silverliner Three cars and the Arrow One cars had different window types with the A1 being
basically the same shape as the previously built Budd Silverliners. The Silverliner Three cars had
what turned out to be a unique window type which was rectangular with curved corners.

When one compares the front ends of the Silverliner Three and the Arrow One/Comarrow cars
the resemblance between the two St.Louis car types can more readily be spotted. In the case
of the Silverliner Four and NJDOT Arrow Two and Three cars they are very similar to each other.
All three car types (actually four with S4 cars customized for both the PC and RDG) were built
by GE during the middle to late 70s era.

MACTRAXX