• Mp coach still on the property?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bad Luck

All (four) of those but one are the P72s that have been set aside for museums. One Transit Museum one which has bounced between there and the old boneyard location adjacent to Atlantic Ave, along with the 2909, both of which have been joined by the two Oyster Bay cars that were previously stored on the GMS and Belmont.
  by scopelliti

Is it just my eyes, or did a paint job really change the look of the P-72 coaches? I see four engines head-on. :-)
  by RGlueck

It happens to be a heck of a good pictures, but like Pat, I see four quasi-locomotives head-on.
  by Ðauntless

Look to the far right.
  by mirrodie

Perhaps a good eye doctor is in order.....far right shows a few coaches....

Oh and thanks Badluck
  by jhdeasy

Bad Luck wrote:All (four) of those but one are the P72s that have been set aside for museums. One Transit Museum one which has bounced between there and the old boneyard location adjacent to Atlantic Ave, along with the 2909, both of which have been joined by the two Oyster Bay cars that were previously stored on the GMS and Belmont.
I'd like to have those car numbers to update my roster of the status of former LIRR P72/P75 cars, which is available online at http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/ ... lasses.pdf
  by Ðauntless

Sandite car 2909, Oyster Bay cars 2935, 2956.

Dont recall what number the Transit Museum car was. I think they gave it up anyway.
  by northpit

2909 is most definitely not nor has it ever been a sandite car.Lirr currently uses 2 ex m-1 cars for useless sandite
  by Bad Luck

Unless a passenger having an extremely rough night in 1991 vomited sandite solution all over the sides of the car and removed seats, the 2909 was a sandite car.
If I recall correctly, the Transit Museum one is 2966 but it's on the furthest west end of the lineup and is often blocked by other stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by northpit

In 1991 there were two alcohol cars being used for sandite. These cars were older than the 2900's.i guess my memory is going as to any 2900 cars being used for sandite
  by nyandw

Sandite:
2907, P72, in KO ex-B&M, built 1955, LIRR as a bar car and sandite car, at RMLI
2909, P72, in Morris Park

Alcohol/Sandite
E401, M1, currently used, ex 9401
E591, M1, currently used, ex 9591
9775, M3, In process of conversion to alcohol/Sandite car

"The LIRR currently uses two M-1 cars to "slime" the rails during falling leaf season. Modified M-1's 9401 & 9591 (now E-401-591) are utilized sandwiched between a pair of MP15's.They operate entirely at night and are serviced at Richmond Hill during the day.

There are also leaf crusher trains. These consist of two MP15's and gravel hoppers. They crush the leaves on the Oyster Bay , Pt. Jeff, Montauk, and Greenport branches. These trains are based at KO and Wellwood siding and operate at night."

Both sandites and leaf crushers have run on the branch simultaneously, and have been on the branch with both. Leaf crushers are operated on the branch to pulverize leaves that may be wedged in the circuits for the crossing gates. If leaves are not crushed, the potential for leaves to impede a circuit and crossing gates to stay up while a train goes through a crossing increases. All leaf crushers are run at the direction of the train dispatcher. Information courtesy: Ben Jankowski, Oyster Bay RR Museum
  by Bad Luck

Speaking of... does anybody have a record of when the two 2900s were in service as sandite cars? I cannot find anybody who remembers/information, but if memory serves the old B&M cars made it to at least 1993 or 94 and I seem to remember the M1s started in the early 2000s
  by jhdeasy

nyandw wrote:Sandite:
2907, P72, in KO ex-B&M, built 1955, LIRR as a bar car and sandite car, at RMLI
2909, P72, in Morris Park
Steve: Coach 2907 (and 2909) were P72 class cars built new for the LIRR by Pullman Standard in 1955. They were not former B&M cars. LIRR's fleet of 30 former B&M cars, acquired from B&M in 1958 and 1959, were built by Pullman Standard in 1935 and 1937.

If I read the above posts correctly, it appears the 4 cars at Morris Park are 2909, 2935, 2956 and 2966.
  by northpit

in the early 90's there were 2 alcohol/sandite cars.they were stored all year on #1trk in morris park.i think there numbers were preceded by a W. ie...w44,w43.im not completely sure.They were different than the normal EH (self powered) psgr coaches in normal use at the time.I remember they had swinging doors rather than sliding doors. they were in bad condition .I remember the laborer that works the sandite pump asking me to slow down on curves because the exterior wall would lift up and separate from the floor. sorry for more confusion