• CSX Frontier Yard empty

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

Frontier Yard was always kind of a mistake anyways. Jammed in where a West Shore and a NYC yard and humping more or less into the wind. Never understood why that took favor over Gardenville, which entirely bypassed the congestion of everybody coming together to cross the river and each other.
  by Matt Langworthy

Frontier made sense when built in 1957 because it tied together NYC RR's Water Level Route, connections to Black Rock/Niagara Falls and the local industrial base in a central location. Gardenville was smaller and wasn't really set-up for classification on a large scale.
  by sd80mac

If it was up to me, I would had reduce Gardenville to mainline only. and use it for TV's and ML's and any units that doesn't stop in Seneca or Froniter for work. I would add crew locker and office at one of end point. that would had speed up these train by half to hour, avoiding these congestion at frontier, CP draw, and tift.
  by Matt Langworthy

Rather than rehash the entire Gardenville discussion again (and the reasons why Gardenville became obsolete), I would suggest any interested parties take a look at this thread from earlier in the year:

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=161399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Flat-Wheeler

I was in Buffalo last Sunday, and there were plenty of cars in there, behind a couple cuts of autoracks. I only drove down Broadway to hang out at N. Ogden, but from there I saw 5 trains in the matter of 1 hour between 3 & 4 pm (CSX Trash train WB, Amtrak WB, EB Stack train, CP Power switching West end Frontier, Bailey Ave yard train). The hump bowl might be mostly empty... IDK. I didn't make it down Harlem before I left for Alabama.