• Elevated (Rail) Structures In Philly

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

Other than, of coarse, the Market-Frankford Line, the Reading viaduct at 9th and Girard and the concrete elevated structure on 25th St. between Washington Ave. and Passyunk Ave. in South Philly, what other elevated rail structures, if any, are there in Philly that run directly above city streets?
  by scotty269

There's the freight bypass (High Line) around 30th Street..
  by SubwayTim

That one doesn't run directly over a street, although it crosses above several streets such as Market, Chestnut and Walnut. I'm talking about structures that run along and above the street in the same fashion as the Market-Frankford Line, where if you are driving on that street in your car, the tracks are directly overhead.
  by Trackseventeen

Well, there's always the Cresson Street Elevated in Manyunk. Although, only about 3/4 mile long.... It fits all the requesites for an elevated line. Runs above a street and even has a station. I remember about 5 years ago, when I driving a cab on the Main Line.... I took some Villanova students to Manayunk.... We had to wait curbside for some reason, and A R6 passed over head.... One of the kids said to the others in the car "Kinda reminds me of Brooklyn around here".... Plus those who live in Manayunk also call it the "el"...

Then there is also the PATCO viaduct in Collingswood.... Although you can't drive directly under it.... there are two streets that run parellel to it for a good stretch.

Oh, and how could I forget the old P&W ROW in Norristown.... although you could not technically drive under it, you could walk under it, since it rode above the sidewalk on Swede Street.

I think they have all been mentioned.....
  by ex Budd man

The Trenton Ave. (Reading)line, now long gone, extended from Lehigh Ave. toward Front St. paralleling the Frankford el. It served many freight customers.
I nearly forgot about the Rdg. branch that entered a factory at the second floor just above Frankford Ave. Most of the trackage was carried on an embankment so I don't know if it qualifies as elevated track. This was same line that came from Sears on the Boulivard. At one time it served passengers as was covered on the Reading forum.
  by delvyrails

The Trenton Avenue elevated structure was a PRR line. It represented an elevation of the original railroad line (Philadelphia & Trenton) from near Front and Berks Sts. to Trenton. This part of it through Kensington was relegated to branchline status when the new entrance to central Philadelphia across North Philadelohia that we know (built as the "Connecting Railway") came into use after the Civil War.

The downtown PRR Suburban Line (now part of SEPTA's Main Line) is located on an elevated structure west of about 22nd Street, and a one-block street is located beneath it eastward from 23rd St. Probably it's a part of Cuthbert St.

The SEPTA Main Line (ex- Reading Ninth Street Line) is located on elevated structure over several blocks of 9th St. on both sides of Girard Avenue. This line was elevated about 100 years ago.

Although not recognizable to passengers, the Ninth Street line/SEPTA Main Line is effectively on elevated structure from the west side of Broad St. to the east side of Old York Rd. in the Logan section.

The original Market Street subway-elevated line as built turned a 180-degree bend at Front & Arch Sts. to an elevated structure above Delaware Avenue leading to South Street. When the Frankford el was built, this segment became known as the "Ferries Branch". Stations were located for the PRR and RDG ferries at Market and at South Street. The structure was razed in 1940.
  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

delvyrails wrote: The original Market Street subway-elevated line as built turned a 180-degree bend at Front & Arch Sts. to an elevated structure above Delaware Avenue leading to South Street. When the Frankford el was built, this segment became known as the "Ferries Branch". Stations were located for the PRR and RDG ferries at Market and at South Street. The structure was razed in 1940.
So there was a bridge structure above delaware avenue that connected to the MFL subway tunnel or elavated structure?
  by redarrow5591

Yes. The turnout for the Delaware EL was roughly on the east side of Front and Race, currently where the left lane of I95 South is now.

Come to think about it, the oldest elevated structure on the EL currently is the 4 block segment south of 95 which was part of the realignment during the 60's.
  by TWTRTECH

An aerial showing the Delaware Ave Ferry Line Extention of the Market Street subway.
  by ExCon90

There used to be a sign on the eastward platform at 11th St. (and maybe elsewhere) saying TO FERRIES that lasted a lot longer than the elevated extension did.
Also, no one has mentioned the Delaware Extension of the PRR from Arsenal to Greenwich; doesn't that run above 26th Street? It's still in service today, and has carried at least one U. S. president to and from the Army-Navy game, a distinction not achieved by the others.
  by BuddCar711

The 25th Street elevated was already mentioned Ex.