Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ExCon90

I think that even in the 1930's they would have had misgivings about putting the President's car on a freight carfloat--getting it on and off the float would certainly have rattled the crockery--and there would still be the matter that Dutch pointed out about moving occupied passenger equipment over unsignaled yard tracks.
  by Tadman

Mod note We've enacted a new rule. Please, let's leave the "FDR Baggage car under GCT" myth to die a slow death.

To be clear - the issue of how a train would get from GCT to NYP is perfectly fine to ask about. But we've got to stop discussing this myth. Dan Bruckner is an idiot for saying that in public.
  by flexliner

mea culpa for not seeing the 2008 thread debunking the whole urban legend.
and due to brain f**t i did not think of the WAS NYP New Rochelle GCT routing.
the other possibilities brought up (crossing the hudson up north) are interesting.
but i guess never used in practicality other than the football runs Noel mentioned.....
Noel do you or anyone have a map of that routing?
I used g maps to find campbell hall but could not see how the connection was made across the river to the NH
  by flexliner

OK found a 1950 era map of the connection at CH showing the NH going north to the Poughkeepsie bridge.
now i get it.
quite the schlep though.
wonder how long the trip was on those game trains.
  by Noel Weaver

I have one train order issued by the NY,O &W at Cornwall to a New Haven engine on a football special enroute from West Point to New Haven via Maybrook. I might have a TN as well but it would take a huge amount of digging to find it and that is not in the cards anytime soon. I also have a bunch of Along the Line magazines which was a NHRR publication for employees etc. I seem to think there is an article on one of them about these interesting trains.
Noel Weaver