Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:the whole thing as I see it and with no funding by CT, is nothing more like shuttle service from New Rochelle to NYP
it would take a transfer for Ct people to go to NYP. but just way I read entire plan.
That's what thought too-- NYP - New Rochelle shuttle w a connection to the Stamford Local.
  by Tommy Meehan

A few years ago a proposed schedule was put out -- I think it was linked to in this thread (but I can't find it) -- and it showed through service from between New Haven or Stamford and Penn Station. Below are a couple of press releases the MTA put out a few years ago. (I think these were previously posted in this thread too.) As you can see in the bottom document, one-seat rides are planned from Connecticut to/from Penn Station.

MTA is still saying this. Included in the 2014 update I linked to previously:
Provide a new train ride—without transfers—from New Haven Line communities to jobs, shopping, and other destinations on Manhattan’s West Side.
  by Rockingham Racer

You're sure not going to do all that with only two tracks.
  by Backshophoss

You have to figure on Amtrak want the MN stations on siding trackage,as is done with the RIDOT/MBTA
stations in RI on the NEC
  by johndmuller

One wonders whether there is a point where Amtrak might consider expanded MN operations thru the Hellgate to NYP a competition issue. I doubt that a New Rochelle local would bother them at all (aside from logistics/scheduling hassles), but what about a limited stop train between New Haven and NYP?

Would Amtrak even like to have some of their customers from NH, Bridgeport, Stamford etc siphoned off to free up more thru slots, or would they resent MN cherry picking some of their customers with better prices, even if that meant experiencing more station stops.

As commuter lines from various places reach out and meet each other in the middle, an opportunity for a lower class of service between major cities is approaching feasibility, if not yet convenience or desirability. How low can they go?
  by Tommy Meehan

I think whatever concerns Amtrak has are probably communicated directly to MTA/Metro-North. They have already done joint planning and joint studies. I don't think MTA would put out a press release saying they'll be operating 6-10 peak hour trains to Penn Station unless Amtrak had agreed privately to that amount of service.

I doubt Amtrak carries many riders between Bridgeport/Stamford and NYP.
  by DutchRailnut

see, think people again are confused about proposed (by some nincompoop) or actual implementation.
  by Tommy Meehan

Below are some quotes from a press release Connecticut Governor Rell put out nine years ago. I found it in this thread (back around page 25). It explains why Connecticut is interested in service to NYP. It also reveals that ConnDOT had begun seriously considering the idea in 2004 or 2005. And that discussions between ConnDOT and MNR began in 2006. Estimates back then were that New Haven Line service into Penn Station would generate about 25,000 trips per day or 8.5 million a year.
Governor M. Jodi Rell today [08/08/2007] announced that a report from the Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) concludes that expanding commuter rail service to New York’s Penn Station is a “viable strategy to relieve increased congestion along the I-95 corridor and improve mobility in the region.” In June, Governor Rell called for the review of “every available option and potential obstacle” for service for the thousands of Connecticut commuters who travel every day into New York City to locations near Penn Station. “If we can provide service to Penn Station, we will. I know first-hand how important it is to get people out of their cars and onto mass transit,” Governor Rell said. “The study shows that more than one million automobile trips per year would be eliminated in one of the most congested parts of our state – the I-95 corridor – if daily Penn Station service were offered.”
Here's a link to the press release (which still exists on line) and the page contains (at the top) a still active link to an eight-page summary of the ConnDOT Penn Station Study report.
  by DutchRailnut

great , interested but the nyp project is not getting a dime from Ct , so lets see how much service they get for that bargain.
Coondot has warehouses full of studies and plans, they just don't have a pot to piss in they are so frigging broke.
  by Ridgefielder

Got to say I agree with Dutch on this one. A lot has happened in the past 9 years. The #7 Train extension means there's a one-seat ride from GCT to W 34th St, the '08 crash changed the office market in Manhattan & probably affected commuting patterns, and, most importantly, the State of Connecticut is broke. The fact that fact that we have to dig back through 25 pages of this thread to find references to through New Haven-Penn service should tell us something.

If there is any service to CT I think it's going to originate/terminate in Stamford, more as a way to swap trainsets out of NYP-NRO shuttle service than anything.
  by Steamboat Willie

Have you ever ridden the 7 train to Hudson yards? It is a ghost town to and from Times Square, and it will be years until service catches on. Much of the surrounding area of Hudson Yards is under construction currently.
  by Ridgefielder

That office capacity in Hudson Yards is going to start coming online sooner than you think. 10 Hudson Yards (30th St./10th Ave.) opened earlier this year; more are on track for '17/'18.
  by YamaOfParadise

It's much better that it was finished before the demand picks up, especially considering all the teething issues with leaks/etc it's been having.
  by roysmith

johndmuller wrote:One wonders whether there is a point where Amtrak might consider expanded MN operations thru the Hellgate to NYP a competition issue. I doubt that a New Rochelle local would bother them at all (aside from logistics/scheduling hassles), but what about a limited stop train between New Haven and NYP?

Would Amtrak even like to have some of their customers from NH, Bridgeport, Stamford etc siphoned off to free up more thru slots, or would they resent MN cherry picking some of their customers with better prices, even if that meant experiencing more station stops.

As commuter lines from various places reach out and meet each other in the middle, an opportunity for a lower class of service between major cities is approaching feasibility, if not yet convenience or desirability. How low can they go?
As somebody who lives in the northeast Bronx, I'd love to see this become a reality (but, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime). Right now, I drive 15 minutes in the wrong direction to catch a train at NRO to GCT, and then have to get from there to my office (15th street & 8th ave). It's 15 miles as the crow flies, and 90 minutes door-to-door. A station at co-op city would probably cut 5 minutes off my local drive, 10 minutes off the rail portion, and another 10 minutes off the other end. I'd love to get 50 minutes of my life back every day.