Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by cam36

Hi there,

Curious as to what happens when there is a disabled train in Penn, or in one of the East River Tunnels. Does another train come and tow it back to the yard? Or Does a mechanic go and repair the train on the spot. I'd imagine it's different on a case-by-case basis, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
  by Kelly&Kelly

Older Engineers were well trained on troubleshooting common problems and with his crew, can usually get the thing moving. Mechanical Department supervisors are assigned to Penn Station during the rush hours and they, or a foreman from WSY will respond to troubleshoot. Same for the Trainmaster or Road Foreman.

If more help is needed, another MU will be brought in on top of the disabled train to pull the thing out. Or operative cars will be cut, passengers moved into them and they will be brought out of the tunnel.

In the worst case, if DC power can't be sustained, an AC engine from Amtrak or a diesel would be used.
  by onorclose7

The current day engineers & conductors are well trained as well
  by Kelly&Kelly

Thanks for that clarification Onorclose... Most crews are pretty good at getting this stuff over the road and there are few problems that would leave a train completely disabled in a tunnel that the crew couldn't handle.
  by northpit

k and k is correct .older engineers were trained how to resolve a problem. newer engineers are trained to call "204".please don't become upset at this truth .taking skill away from an engineer gives the company leverage in the form of compensation. a common strategy in todays world of those that can and those that can't
  by onorclose7

Why would I "be upset with the truth'? I am a conductor, not a hogger and pride myself in knowing how to fix stuff when it breaks. Just taking pride in job. Calling 204 when the sh*t hits the fan usually results in making money. Now that is the real truth
  by Kelly&Kelly

OnorClose is right on! Knowledge and expertise always makes you money and earns you respect. No matter what the Company does or how poorly it trains employees, a guy who make a point of knowing his job and the jobs of those around him always has the upper hand and is a service to the public. The truth is that the majority of the "big earners" deserve every penny they earn and work hard for it. It is often because of them that this place runs at all.
  by workextra

As previously stated the older generation was trained differently. The equipment was also more hands on a field fixable.
the current generation is trained on customer service as the priority and movement of trains as a secondary priority.
Don't fix it or try to. Just call 204. There is truth to that and is no lie. Are there some of us who will "do our job" and trouble shoot and get that train over the road or into a station to accommodate the passengers.
You also got the majority who believe dump it and call 204. And "it's not my job" let 204 and M/E handle it.

One simple Example. If you part a air hose on a diesel passenger. How many crews would actually go down and lace it up. Do the required air test and go? There are many other issues of varying complexity that crews make a mountain over a mole hill out of. Including a reverse move.

This is where the old timers say the new generation is less trained and has a lack of knowledge.
It's not to be offensive. It's frustrating. 100 years of accumlated knowledge blown by the wayside in less then 20yrs. Even the class 1s have suffered. And need to relearn lessons of the past.

I think in my opinion that's some of where the problem stems.
  by Datenail

Work extra your post is passionate but times have changed. Customers demand more now and the railroad doesnt have the flexibility it used to have. such as coupling to a train full of people on the main. now they have to be offloaded and then the empty disabled train can be coupled to. This can take hours be we have no choice. But I like your passion. However, its a "mountain OUT of a mole hill".
  by workextra

Hi, Datenail.
I may be missing something. But can you explain why you'd need to move the passengers if it's as simple as swapping an engine.
Example. When the cannonball had the bottled air. The company's reputation would have be salvaged if they simply cut the west engine and coupled a new engine on. The call that was made to me was a poor decision not based on customer service or railroading.
At that point I'd be paying the mingles and yard moves as it's justified.

A lot has changed. And it's frustrating. As far as capacity the removal of interlockings and lack of meeting points in single track present operational problems.
There's so much that can be done. I find the refusal to look "over seas" aka he Hudson for ideas is a big problem.
The isolation is a huge issue. It's very visible with qualified employees believing Penn station is LIRR and not the NEC.
  by onorclose7

If a hose parts enroute to Montauk , Port Jeff or the Bay, you better get out and fix it. No one is going to do it for you. Calling 204 will not help you in this case.
  by Datenail

Hello work extra. I am a little confused by your posting. you had bottled air on a locomotive and called 204? if youre so full of fire why didnt you unbottle the air and go? if a crew is known to be good, we let them do what they need to do. I know quite a few conductors who know the equipment well enough to move a train. When i talk to them, we take their advice and stay back. But often you dont have that and some crews dont work well together. then there is problems.
  by Slippy

Datenail is correct. To better elaborate about the riding public demanding more stems from the influence of social media. Past practices are gone, faith is lost within transportation to resolve simple problems because the work ethic is different now. On the average, the newer blood hired within the last 5-10 years simply have no interest in learning or striving beyond what the minimum requirements are.
  by workextra

Datenail,
I'm referring to the incident that happened a few years ago. If you recall they canceled the cannonball in Jamaica because of bottled air. Probably under heavy pressure from the pressed shirts and ties the crew changed ends and no one detected the bottled air. Brake test went. POKed then upon instructions from
The powers that be. Went into train line brake bypass and created a much bigger issue.

I'm referring to the actions of inexperience. Why cancel the whole train? Wouldn't it be easy and justifiable to order the hostler to bring up an engine ASAP in that case? Take the delay in Jamaica. Pay the penalties as needed. Have the drill crew cut away the bad engine, and couple on a replacement from
Morris park. At that point are we really worried about making an "ATM" or we worried about providing a save service that we sold. (We) referring to the company

Providing They figured it out upon arrival at Jamaica. They could simply have swapped power instead of cancel a train.
Why would such move be considered a "big deal" or an impossibility? On freight it's called setting out the defected unit/car -and keep moving.

Had Head End Power not been the issue. Meaning (local under car type
Power) that's all they had to do. Set out the bad unit brake test and go. So the trains a little slower- it still ran.

Please explain why this can lot have been done? I'm aware of the HEP that is not what I'm asking and I did brief on it.
  by onorclose7

The Cannonball usually has a machinist, a car inspector and at least one road foreman onboard and no one figured out that it was bottled air?