Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

VIA has announced that the overnight Toronto-Montreal trains, 50 and 51, named The Enterprise will be discontinued effective September 15. Morning commuters will continue to be served by new train 651 from Kingston to Toronto.

by chriskay

While this is sad, it's not at all surprising. I doubt they'll try this experiment again anytime soon, which is unfortunate.

by MACTRAXX

Ken: This sort of surprises me-Why can't VIA run a successful train overnight on the Montreal-Toronto line is beyond me. I have ridden the Cavalier once back in'85 between TOR and MNT. It is a interesting way to travel between these cities and "stay over" to boot. What killed the Cavalier and was it a victim of VIAs 1990 cutbacks? To me it seems that VIA went thru the 90s and became even stronger but I wonder if poor decision-making had a hand in it-decisions like purchasing the Renaissance equipment(Is it used on the current overnight TOR-MNT train?) or are other factors involved? I will say this-Politically VIA is in better standing with the Canadian government than Amtrak with the current US political situation am I right? Comments from MACTRAXX
  by viafan

It is very sad to see this service go - I have used it several times (most recently, three weeks ago.

In a recent letter from the office of the Minister of Transport, I was informed that VIA makes the decisions on what it will operate - and then goes on to say that the government provides 169 million to VIA and studies indicate that some services cannot cover their costs. The 169 was 21 million less than the year before. Also lost was the "tourist" oriented Bras D'Or from Halifax to Sydney in Nova Scotia.

Our government is somewhat more passenger rail friendly than yours, to say the least, I think, would prefer to see VIA Rail only operate in the QC - MTL - TOR - Windsor corridor.

by marquisofmississauga

MACTRAXX wrote:Ken: This sort of surprises me-Why can't VIA run a successful train overnight on the Montreal-Toronto line is beyond me. I have ridden the Cavalier once back in'85 between TOR and MNT. It is a interesting way to travel between these cities and "stay over" to boot. What killed the Cavalier and was it a victim of VIAs 1990 cutbacks? To me it seems that VIA went thru the 90s and became even stronger but I wonder if poor decision-making had a hand in it-decisions like purchasing the Renaissance equipment(Is it used on the current overnight TOR-MNT train?) or are other factors involved? I will say this-Politically VIA is in better standing with the Canadian government than Amtrak with the current US political situation am I right? Comments from MACTRAXX
The Cavalier was indeed a victim of the 1990 Mulroney cuts. In its last few years, VIA downgraded it to a train of normally only two coaches and two sleepers. There was no lounge. Evening bar service and morning coffee and pastries were provided in one's room by the service manager who, incidentally, was the only on-board services employee on the train. (There was still a conductor in those days.) The service manager would collect tickets at the desk at the gate in Montreal and Toronto. A "station" sleeping car attendant would assist passengers onto the train, but would not ride with it.

Exactly 10 years to the date, VIA resurrected the train as the Enterprise. It rarely carried the targeted 40 sleeper passengers. (At that time, VIA said that was the number of sleeper passengers that would allow a break-even situation.) The normal consist was one coach, two Chateau sleepers and the Park car. The breakfast was served buffet style, but tray meals were available for room service.

The Renaissance consist originally was two coaches, lounge, three sleepers. The third sleeper was removed about a year ago. The baggage car was not originally operated, but added shortly thereafter, if I recall correctly. Although it lacked the splendid Park car, in some ways the Renaissance Enteprise was a better train. The private showers in 60% of the rooms were a good selling point. Passengers travelling alone would receive a double room for the same price as a roomette. This is not the case on the Ocean, although the difference between a roomette and a single occupancy double is very modest on Ren. but quite steep on Budd equipment.

Since its inception, I have ridden sleeper on the Enterprise 16 times, exactly half in Budd equipment and half in Renaissance. I shall miss it.