• Former Amtrak Slumbercoach assignments (and an F40PH ?)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Amtrak207

Hello all!

Let's take a step back in time shall we, to the 1980's. My question has to do with Slumbercoach assignments for 49/48 (Lake Shore Limited) but I guess can be applied to 41/40 (Broadway Limited) as well.

I have seen two types, the 24-8 Slumbercoach (former NP), and the 16-10 Slumbercoach (former NYC Harbor series)

http://hebners.net/Amtrak/amtSLEEP/amt2091.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ex-NP

http://hebners.net/Amtrak/amtSLEEP/amt2056.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ex-NYC

I have seen both types assigned to certain eastern long distance trains, now how did Amtrak assign reservations to them in advance? For example: If a 24-8 Slumbercoach was assigned to 49 and was booked that way, what happened the day of departure when a 16-10 Harbor series Slumbercoach was used; as the former NP Slumbercoaches had more capacity than the former NYC cars. Did they use one type on certain days? This has confused me to no end lol.

Lastly, I have noticed that certain F40PH's back in the 80's had certain cities stenciled on the lower part of the nose such as "CHICAGO", "LOS ANGELES", "ALBANY", "NEW HAVEN". Was this their operating/maintenance base they were assigned to? Would anyone have a list or idea of what F40PH was based in which pool? I am aware they still roamed wherever, but things like this just are so fascinating.

Thanks to all in advance!

Tom
  by amtrakhogger

Certain F40's were assigned to specific maintenance bases due to operating needs. Those based in New Haven or Philly for instance needed to have cab signal equipment/speed control for the Corridor, while those in Los Angeles (and maybe Chicago) need to have Santa Fe type IITS (Automatic Train Stop) equipment for use on Santa Fe lines.
  by Amtrak207

Hogger thank you SO much for that, it's these little tidbits I find so interesting.

Rockingham... I believe the first order of F40's (#200-229), the ones assigned to the northeast had the ghetto grates installed. In fact #203 had them well into the 80's (along with her Phase II scheme.)

Tom
  by jp1822

Recall that this is a time where slumber coaches for the Lake Shore would have been assigned out of Chicago and run into Grand Central. So the car pool was slightly more segregated. If a substitute was needed, I suppose they may have tried to get another 10-6 standard sleeper to make up the difference, or used the slumber coach in reserve. The Lake Shore during this time only operated with two sets of equipment - same day turn at Grand Central (departure at 7 pm from Grand Central). Then half way early evening departure out of Chicago back to Grand Central. It may have been easier to swap slumber coaches around since they were serviced out in Chicago. Passengers were SOL out of Grand Central!

The Broadway got its cars and swapping more at Sunnyside than Chicago.
  by Amtrak207

Now that's a GREAT point! I didn't even think of that, that going into NYG instead of Penn Sta, 49/48 did not use Sunnyside Yard. How did that work anyway? Did the set just layover in the sta. or was it serviced at perhaps a former NYC facility?

Thanks for that interesting note!

Tom
  by Allouette

When the LSL used Grand Central, it was turned at the former NYC Mott Haven yard. I once booked a Slumbercoach room NYG-CHI and got a substitute 10-6 when the eastbound was running late due to freeze up in winter 1976-77.
  by shlustig

Mott Haven was closed long before Amtrak arrived.

When #48 arrived at GCT it came in on one of the Upper Level Loop Tracks (38-42), emptied, was looped and went through the car washer on Tk. 1, and was then backed off into the East Yard, usually split onto 2 tracks, for servicing.

#49 was doubled out of the East Yard, pulled past Tower A and backed into its departure track.
  by Amtk30

Most interesting thread about the now long gone but popular slumbercoach sleeper cars (and F-40s).

Just wanted to add that for a short period of time (early 1990s?) #50-51 Cardinal also featured the slumbercoach cars (along with full dining and lounge services!) besides 40-41 and 48-49. Rode in an ex-NYC slumbercoach on 51 WAS-CHI back in 1994. I recall some of those ex-NYC converted slumbercoaches had a few rooms that were same size as a conventional roomette. Very nice cars.

However, not sure how Amtrak reservations handled the differences with amount of available rooms between the ex-NP/CBQ and the ex-NYC slumbercars.

Amtk30
  by Gilbert B Norman

I'd dare say same as they will when the V-II' finally make the scene. They will identify which type of car is assigned and inventory space accordingly.

Even if the reconfiguration of the V-I's moves forth as planned (of course we all know what happens to plans at 60 Mass), there would still be a transition period where both cars would be in service.
  by shlustig

There was also a Slumbercoach assigned GCT to BUF on #'s 63 & 64 which were overnight runs at that time (early 1970's). Since these cars were often taken for the CHI train, we had a pair of spares at GCT: a regular NYC 10 / 6 and a former PRR 4/4/2. Regular users were usually royalled po'ed if the Slumbercoach happened to be operating.
  by TomNelligan

Another Eastern train that had Slumbercoaches for a while was the Montrealer. I don't have starting and ending dates, but a Washington-Montreal Slumbercoach was in the consist in the early 1980s along with a standard 10-6 sleeper.

I really miss those cars, especially on the Lake Shore, because of their affordability. Viewliner rooms these days are priced well beyond my Old Retired Guy budget.
  by Amtrak207

Okay thank you everyone for contributing. I guess this stemmed sometging I had never thought of and that was how the Lake Shore was serviced at Grand Central. Keep the memories coming, this information is gold!!

Tom
  by jhdeasy

shlustig wrote:There was also a Slumbercoach assigned GCT to BUF on #'s 63 & 64 which were overnight runs at that time (early 1970's). Since these cars were often taken for the CHI train, we had a pair of spares at GCT: a regular NYC 10 / 6 and a former PRR 4/4/2. Regular users were usually royalled po'ed if the Slumbercoach happened to be operating.
Overnight trains 63 & 64 between New York and Chicago must have been Penn Central trains which operated prior to May 1, 1971. There are no trains 63 & 64 listed in the Amtrak system timetable for May 1, 1971. Getting a drawing room or a compartment in a 4-4-2 sleeper for the same fare as a double slumbercoach room is quite a windfall for the lucky traveler!

Amtrak trains 68 and 69 operated overnight between New York and Chicago in 1971. The system timetable dated July 12, 1971 shows roomettes and bedrooms assigned to this train. No mention of slumbercoaches.

The system timetable dated November 14, 1971 shows this service renumbered as trains 61 and 60, named Lake Shore. It says sleeping car service, but provides no additional details about specific accommodations, such as slumbercoaches.

Amtrak's system timetable dated January 16, 1972 does not list an overnight service between New York and Chicago on the former NYC Water Level Route. I remember reading that service was terminated after one or more of the states on the route would not pay Amtrak their share of the costs.
  by Engineer Spike

In 1995 I went out to Illinois to visit friends. Another friend was the agent where I booked my reservation. Since my departure was out of central Connecticut, the Lakeshore out of Springfield would have been most logical, but the idea was to expand my horizons.

I went to Washington, and slummed it in coach to Chicago, on the Cap. Return was the Broadway in a slumber coach room. I agree that it was much more economical than sleeper, yet still quite a step up from coach. It was lucky that I did that route, as it was discontinued soon afterward. It was plenty big enough for just me.