• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by rr503

Very true. I just assumed it was a load. My bad.
Anyway, on another note, what happened to that Morris county project that was to upgrade the Washington secondary to 286K + 17 feet clearances? Is South Main in P'burg the only low bridge left?
Thanks!!
  by transit383

A recent shot of the H-02 heading west through Port Murray:

NS 3010 at Port Murray
  by SemperFidelis

They've been talking about making those upgrades since before I worked at Sakrete in Kenvil (2003?) and the load limit was one of the mnay reasons we wouldn't ship by rail to the factory.

I think the plate restriction chased away Toys R Us as they wanted high cube box cars. The load limit was an obvious killer for potential portland cement, sand, stone, and finished product moves...and the railroads did nothing,nothing, nothing to help mitigate the inxonvenience of reduced loads. They charged us the same as they would have for a full 286k load.

Don't hold your breath.
  by badorder

Norfolk Southern put up a large billboard next to the bridge that goes over the NJT Morristown line and Route 46 in Netcong,N.J., I hope to get a photo of the NS H-02 with the 3010 next to it, looks like it will be a very tight shot to make. As
far as to the upgrading the Washington Secondary , I think the closing of the BASF Plant in Washington and the upcoming PTC signal system on NJT will be playing a big part in what NS decides to do with the Secondary. The H-02 only has
Boreallis Compounds,Colgate(closing in 2017?),Bluelinx,Royal Distributors and the M&E Rwy., East of Washington.
  by rr503

Yeah, and with Squires planning to rid NS of 1000 miles of track this year, I think 'judgement day' is coming.
If they do spin it off, I hope the M&E gets it...
  by riffian

"The H-02 only has Boreallis Compounds,Colgate(closing in 2017?),Bluelinx,Royal Distributors and the M&E Rwy., East of Washington."

Is the consignee adjacent to Dover yard no longer an active customer? They were taking covered hoppers as recently as last year.
  by badorder

Tee Pee Packaging by East Dover Yard closed in December,2015.......with the lost of 30 jobs. All the plastic bag making machines and equipment to be sold off in the next couple of months, it was a family owned business that
couldn't compete with the larger companies....very sad.
  by Joseph DeLuisi

The switch and siding to the former Hartz Mountain plant in Bloomfield, which was once served by the H-02 on the Orange Industrial Branch, has been all ripped out by NS. I guess we'll never see anything on the Orange Industrial ever again, very sad.
  by Joseph DeLuisi

What has been going on as far as rail activity on the Washington Secondary and Totowa Industrial Branch? Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Totowa Industrial a main line about forty years ago? I remember as a kid me and my family on our way to Belleville to visit relatives, very long freight trains going by as we stood in our car at the Mt.Prospect Ave crossing in Newark, which is just north of Verona Ave. Where did that Main Line go?Any info is appreciated.
  by rr503

You're right, it was. Originally, the Boonton line went around garrett mountain and into newark that way, providing a low grade route into NWK for DLW/EL freights. But when the DOT built I-80, they needed the ROW, and EL, who at that time was using the delaware div. for most traffic out of NJ, turned down their offer to keep a track around the mountain. That happened ~1963
  by Joseph DeLuisi

Interesting, thanks for the info.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I will be railfanning at Towaco and Lincoln Pk this afternoon. Does anyone know if and when the freight will traverse the Montclair-Boonton Line today?
  by NYS&W142Fan

I have a question. We have been hearing for a couple of years that BASF in Washington was closing, yet the cars just keep coming. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? I think the plant closure would have a major effect on the rail line and who would run trains on there.
  by SecaucusJunction

Wasn't August supposed to be the new close date?