• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by SemperFidelis

I've read that NS is planning on trimming a few thousand miles from its network. With the few shippers remaining and an ever declining industrial base in Jersey, any anyone heard any rumors if the territory east of Phillipsburg might be on the chopping block?

Work is pretty thin anywhere east of the NYK Logistics, and downright anemic east of Lake Junction ever since that steel place in Boonton closed up shop.
  by ACeInTheHole

To cut east of Phillipsburg would decapitate the Crescent Corridor which they just invested millions on, and lose access to the NJ-NY ports, the territory east of Phillipsburg isnt going anywhere.
  by SecaucusJunction

I believe he's talking about the secondary, not the Lehigh Line. I agree that it's a perfect candidate to get axed. Wouldn't shock me to see M&E take over operations. They could probably get better tax breaks and have the ability (or at least the desire) to try to gain more local traffic.
  by SemperFidelis

Sorry, I thought that would be clear because we were talking about HO2 territory.

Edit- btw, that was a fun few years when they were suddenly bringing in long strings of boxcars for the steel place...then the economy went and so did the fun.
  by NYS&W142Fan

Saw what looked like two UP units sitting on the bridge over Rt 31 on the old main in Washington this morning. I was headed West on 57 and had traffic hot on my tail so I didn't get a good look. Anyone have any info??
  by brwfan

There were indeed 2 up units, they were there since last night. I'm not too good at the different models but both were 6 axle units
  by NYS&W142Fan

Was told the two Units were both UP units, but one was actually a NS unit. They went West on the Wass Secondary then once out on the Lehigh Main, went East engine light.
  by ACeInTheHole

NYS&W142Fan wrote:Was told the two Units were both UP units, but one was actually a NS unit. They went West on the Wass Secondary then once out on the Lehigh Main, went East engine light.
Probably the two that went out on 19G. They would be UP 8808 (SD70ACe) and NS 7240 (90MAC) in that case
  by Joseph DeLuisi

Who are the current shippers on the Totowa Industrial Branch and the Washington Secondary?
  by gravelyfan

H-02 is currently headed east on the Morristown Line through Denville with 1 car for Colgate.
  by rr503

I thought that they'd given up on rail...
Well, happily, I'm wrong!
  by riffian

The Colgate plant is supposed to be shutting down permanently, as reported earlier on this site.
  by rr503

Haven't they been shutting down for three years?
What's taking so long?
Any idea what the car contained?
  by ccutler

I suspect many manufacturers in NJ are threatening to move out in order to negotiate tax relief. And they will move out if they don't get it. BASF, for example, is according to other posters here, just waiting to complete another factory in the South before shutting down in Washington, NJ.
  by Ken S.

rr503 wrote:Haven't they been shutting down for three years?
What's taking so long?
Any idea what the car contained?
It could have been an empty car.