• Maybe O/T, But An Amtrak Question

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BuddCar711

I do not know if this would be in the proper forum (the mods are free to move it if they wis), but my question is that is Amtrak planning to get rid of the old Penny position signals? The reason for the question is that coming back from Wilmington, I was on a SL-V, and the cab door was open, and I've noticed that the Pennsy style cab signals are gone (which I thought was a requirement to run on Amtrak rails). Thanks.
  by amtrakhogger

The requirement is to be cab signal equipped. What style of aspect display unit is up to the owner of the equipment. These days, color light displays are the norm.
  by Head-end View

Budd, if the position-light cab signals were gone, what was in their place? I'm surprised they would be changing them with the cars being so new.
  by Head-end View

Interesting. What does a PTC Display unit look like?
  by BuddCar711

Head End, It looks like colored squares (red, amber, green), and there is a digital display that says, "RESTRICTED", "APPROACH MEDIUM", and "CLEAR", and the speedo is on it as well.