Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jamestrains1

Additionally, below is a fuller shot of the 1982 image, to better help identify location.
Penn Station and a Gun
Keating was 26 years old and teaching himself to use a camera when he stumbled on a drug bust.
Photo: Edward Keating/Contact Press Images
https://issuu.com/linlin2011/docs/n_y_m_2015_03_23_downmagaz.com (Magazine pg. 32-33/ISSUU pg. 37-38)
  by jamestrains1

nyandw wrote:jamestrains1 thanks for posting. Agree first photo c.1968+ second photo c.1958+ as all the Men have hat's prior to the JFK era 3rd photo plains clothes police doing a pat-down $th shot in Penn due to signage? :-)
mjd13076 wrote:Awesome pics jamestrains! Thanks!
You're welcome, to both of you gentlemen, it was my pleasure to help. Unfortunately, these few represent the extent of easily accessible images of the post Madison Square Garden construction pre-renovation Penn Station that I could compile.
  by Kelly&Kelly

The locations of most of these are easy. The one with the Amtrak Girls is on the Amtrak level just inside the 7th Avenue entrance, atop the escalators to the Suburban (LIRR) Level. It was taken around 1975, in the heyday of LIRR Mini-Maids and Amtrak Girls who helped with public information.

The other two are in the Suburban Level Main Concourse outside the LIRR Stationmaster's Office, which would be under the PRR Taxi Ramp, hence the sloped ceiling.

The drug bust photo is a bit tougher, because the area was closed off around 1990 though we remember well where it is. Let's see if anyone else remembers. Clues are the subway sign, the narrow stairs and the vaulted tile ceiling.
  by workextra

The drug bust photo is if I'm not mistaken, by the downtown IRT above where (tracks) is today.
This area still exist as pictures today filthy and blocked off to the public. I was fortunate having the pre legs to access the area as well as the former PRR Carrageway before it was all locked off to non Amtrak employees. I believe this is or the vestibule to the 32nd st passage.
  by Kelly&Kelly

That's it, Steve.

The passageway was accessed from Amtrak's central hall just after descending the main stairs from 7th Avenue. It was on your right where the homeless Outreach Office is today and led to the Suburban Level and the IRT Subway. From there a hall and stairs brought you to the back of the present LIRR Waiting Room, down behind what is now Tracks Restaurant and to the IRT Subway near the Gimbels Passage.

It was one more h-llhole -- one with such bad crime that Amtrak would lock gates across it at night. The electric conduits in the 2012 photos were there when the place was still open to the public. Notice that the NYC Police still used revolvers in that 1982 view.
  by amtrakhogger

Kelly&Kelly wrote:Those who never saw the pre-1990 Long Island level could never imagine what filth and squalor it represented. The present place is so far improved that words can't express just how bad the old facility was.

Some details that may bring back memories to those old timers:

<SNIP>
How about adding:

Bluebellies.
Graybellies.
Motor switch.
  by JamesRR

Can anyone identify the location of the last photo in the earlier thread - the one dated January 18, 1987?

Is this looking toward today's Main Gate Area, with the Connecting Concourse behind? (looking south, with IRT lines to the left, IND to the right?)

I can't place this, and the 1990s construction changed a lot of the ceiling profiles of the terminal. The EXIT sign indicated NJT and Amtrak but not seeing the arrow I can't tell which way it's pointing.
  by Kelly&Kelly

You are correct. That is the Main Gate Area on the Suburban Level looking south. The LIRR Stationmasters' Office would be to your right, along with gates to Tracks 13 through 19; the waiting room to your left. The slanted ceiling carries the remnants of the old yellow brick PRR taxi ramp that was accessible though a hallway on the Amtrak Level.
  by RailTrek

Hi Everyone!

Long time reader, first time contributor. Thank you for all the wonderful information posted on these boards... Does anyone have a current photo of the area captured in the 1987 photo? I'm having hard time visualizing how this area looks like today.

Many thanks!
  by dieciduej

This is a link to George Chiasson's Flickr page, Forensic Penn Station, New York:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/widecab/s ... 7251221004

I am not sure if he has posted a today photo or not. At one time he posted to railroad.net with the handle Widecab you maybe able to get a hold of him. He also has written a 4 part, with part 5 on the way, story on the history of Penn Station, for the New England Chapter of the PRRT&HS "The East Wind."

JoeD