Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by njtmnrrbuff

Hey,
When the new Joliet Transportation Center opens up, what will it look like? Will it still be a good spot to railfan?
  by GWoodle

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Hey,
When the new Joliet Transportation Center opens up, what will it look like? Will it still be a good spot to railfan?

http://picturejoliet.com/JolietTranspor ... enter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe in 2016 A lot to do.................
  by The Interloafer

I just went through Joliet a few days ago on the Texas Eagle. It was my first time there and I was sort of intrigued and confused by the station. Which trains stop at which platforms? Why does it seem like there's a totally completed platform that even has its ADA-compliant yellow tactile warning strip that is fenced off with a permanent looking fence? Any info greatly appreciated.
  by spRocket

The north-south tracks carry Amtrak and Metra Heritage Corridor trains (along with BNSF, CN, and UP freight). The east-west track is for Metra's Rock Island service, with CSX and IAIS freight traffic.

The fenced-off platform was formerly used for Metra/Rock Island trains, until the new platform was built east of the diamonds. Now, the Rock Island trains don't have to cross the diamond to load and unload passengers, eliminating delays on both lines.
  by The Interloafer

Ahh, OK, many thanks spRocket. That makes sense. Much appreciated.