Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by C-LINER 2001

New GP-38-2 LIRR 1976136_edited-1.jpg
On Jan 27th, 1976 those new EMD's got "Rocking and Rolling" on the LIRR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by workextra

The Geep. A timeless design that's both practical and functional. Improved visibility over the older Fs and versatile for bi-directional running. Even today on the second and third hand markets the geeps are still a wanted item.
Proof positive "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

Approaching 20yrs since they were retired from passenger service on LI, it's been said many times that loosing the geeps were a big mistake.
  by MACTRAXX

WE: To be exact it has been 16 years - The year 2000 - when the last of the old equipment was retired.

I believe that the GP38 fleet has been the most successful Diesel locomotive type that the LIRR has owned
and just the longevity of their use - and taking note that NYA still uses a few - is a prime example.

MACTRAXX
  by Engine 277

I remember the first time I saw one in service. Was working a Train that started out of hicksville during the morning rush hour. Every morning an express train from Ronkonkoma came through being pulled by an Alco century. Then one day it came through being pulled by a GP-38. I remember how different the GP-38 sounded, and how it was somewhat louder than the alcos.
  by Crabman1130

MACTRAXX wrote:WE: To be exact it has been 16 years - The year 2000 - when the last of the old equipment was retired.

I believe that the GP38 fleet has been the most successful Diesel locomotive type that the LIRR has owned
and just the longevity of their use - and taking note that NYA still uses a few - is a prime example.

MACTRAXX
I see many railroads send their power to Altoona for rebuilds. I've seen Metro North units there. How come the LIRR
never sends it's power for rebuilds? Wouldn't this be more economical then buying unproven equipment?
  by wintower

Does anybody know how they got onto Long Island, was it via Hell Gate or the floats in Brooklyn?
  by freightguy

They went out via car floats in 99/2000. The single level diesel coaches bought by Ken Bitton went out via CSX. The whole fleet of LIRR ore jennies went out via CSX around the same time. I'm not sure how they came in but in sure an all land route from the Midwest from LaGrange for the MP15s and GP38-2s.
  by Engine 277

New Emd F125... I wonder if these will be the next generation on the LIRR..

by RGlueck

I suppose those "things" are inevitable on the LIRR. Sad day when ALCO left the Island and EMD took their places.
  by Backshophoss

LIRR GP38-2's were brought to Island by Penn Central on SELI,they were dead in tow at that time.
1st hit LIRR rails at Fresh Pond yard.
Believe the SW 1001's and MP 15's were delivered the same way off SELI
  by workextra

That new "thing" posted above is in a class of its own and should to be holding the F class designation. That is a direct insult to the legacy of the real F's from the FT to the FL9 and everything in between and rebuilt afterwards.

This new crap should have is own class. Such as CCJ- Conputer Controlles Junk!
  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote:LIRR GP38-2's were brought to Island by Penn Central on SELI,they were dead in tow at that time.
"SELI" is?
  by Bad Luck

The PC job at the time that ran from Selkirk to Long Island; Conrail used the same ID for a time.