Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

Which is the WORST Metro North Station

Melrose/Tremont/Wakefield
20%
Glenwood
No votes
0%
White Plains
20%
North White Plains
No votes
0%
New Rochelle
No votes
0%
Stamford
20%
Bridgeport
No votes
0%
Merritt 7
No votes
0%
South Norwalk
No votes
0%
Anything on the Waterbury
40%
  by Scalziand

runningwithscalpels wrote:And if you want to comment on sparcity of facilities. Beacon Falls wins. Lowest ridership, literally a bus shelter AND...the sign doesn't match any other NHL sign!
Sadly, a lot of Waterbury line stops are literally a bus shelter.
runningwithscalpels wrote:If you look at some of the *old* facilities on the Waterbury branch it's not as awful. For example, the Naugatuck station building was designed by McKim, Mead, and White (as well as several other buildings in town like the library and old post office) While not still in use in a railroad capacity, the station is in good condition...too bad they would rather use the glorified bus shelter a couple hundred yards up the tracks instead.
Yes, too bad the town just sold the building to a developer so they can add a restaurant, instead of restoring it's use as a station.
  by runningwithscalpels

I can't complain about that - as long as it's some place decent...the lack of decent restaurants that aren't Italian/Pizza in this town annoy me.

Either way, I'm glad it's seeing some semblance of maintenance rather than rotting away and left to be demolished...(ie what happened 25 miles north in Torrington)
  by Steamboat Willie

I'm very surprised nobody mentioned Southeast. Although most of the Harlem line saw some improvements such as LED lighting and fresh paint, Southeast desperately needs a point of egress on the north end. It is near or at capacity during the week with parking and I don't envy anyone's hike especially in the recent arctic blast whom park on the north end.

Noroton Heights is falling apart both east and westbound sides of the platform. Bridgeport is currently undergoing station improvements although Barnum I assume with have similar visual flair such as West Haven and Fairfield Metro.
  by DutchRailnut

progress at Southeast is at hold till town gives up stranglehold , the entire parking lot is suppose to go to other side at high area at what was suppose to be industrial park but now owned by MN.
Once new overpass is build were crossing once was independent way would extend to north mainstreet. but town wants bridge over yard back for prospect hill rd but MN does not want it. so everything is check mate.

http://binged.it/1Olb8yd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Jeff Smith

I'll second/third the motion on Southeast fka Brewster North. Long, narrow center island platform like the rest of the Upper Harlem, not befitting of a terminal. And that parking lot is very, very long. Whatever they end up doing with the parking, I'd say an easier fix is similar to White Plains; add a side platform on the parking lot side and use the western track as the primary track, and the eastern track as the Wassaic/shuttle track. Very meager upstairs, too. Yes, there'd be shortcomings in using only one track as a primary track. You can still pull through to clear the track to turn it back to the yard anyway.
  by DutchRailnut

see Jeff is not reading, the current parking lot will be gone, it will be rail yard expansion.
  by Jeff Smith

Hard to understand what you were writing; I've never seen anything on the yard expanding. I thought the lot was expanding to the other side to accommodate all those people driving in from Danbury :wink: I didn't know the current lot was going away.
  by truck6018

Jeff Smith wrote: Yes, there'd be shortcomings in using only one track as a primary track. You can still pull through to clear the track to turn it back to the yard anyway.
I can almost assure you that having 1 dedicated "primary" track will not likely happen. There is already too much going on for that to happen. Trains going in and out of the yard, shuttles, you name it. Additionally there are already trains that discharge and clear the platform north towards CP 154 for another train.
  by JoshKarpoff

Croton-Harmon. The waiting room should be the entire space between the two overpasses. The 1&3 platform needs to be 150% wider for passengers to get around the northern overpass stairs to the elevator. The elevators are a wreck and to the best of my knowledge, not being refurbished under the current project. With a bigger waiting room, they could offer more eatery options, especially for those waiting to meet someone or waiting for an Amtrak train.
The Village needs to get all of its DPW facilities out of the parking lot and should redesign the flow of the lot adjacent to the station for better pickup, drop-off, bus and taxi stands. They need to do away with the dedicated parking spots for taxis and move to a more efficient and equitable taxi loop.
  by kitn1mcc

The best station on the whole network is on the waterbury line

Good old Ansonia