Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by bellstbarn

This topic arose because of the January 15, 2016, death of a young man at Philipse Manor station. Sad to relate, apparently he put himself in the way of a southbound train at the station platform. Yet, I think that every Hudson Division station has an overpass. I cannot think of a place where walkers are allowed to cross the tracks. If I may ask two questions:
1) Am I correct that no track-level crosswalks exist on the Hudson Division?
2) Hastings and Philipse Manor use the nearby hillside to guide passengers to an overpass. That is, the a roadway or sidewalk goes directly from the higher land east of the track to the bridge. People do not have to climb more than a few steps to cross over to the southbound trains. Do any other Hudson Division stations have a similar approach at the level of the overpass?
Thank you.
  by DutchRailnut

each Hudson line station has a pedestrian overpass, so in this care the subject clearly committed suicide.
http://binged.it/1WvR0i0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by pnaw10

bellstbarn wrote:1) Am I correct that no track-level crosswalks exist on the Hudson Division?
Yes, that is correct. However, back when there were still low-level platforms on the upper portion of the line, it was not uncommon to see people crossing the tracks by foot, even though it was dangerous and illegal. Of particular example, I used to live near the station in New Hamburg, where there is an underpass, rather than an overpass. Due to the location of the underpass portals, it was obvious many riders found it to be a shorter walk to just cross the tracks by foot. I moved away before the high-level platforms were installed (I think they were in the late 90s), but I have been back to visit since then, and it appears the high-level platforms have successfully prevented people from walking across the tracks.
bellstbarn wrote:2) Hastings and Philipse Manor use the nearby hillside to guide passengers to an overpass. That is, the a roadway or sidewalk goes directly from the higher land east of the track to the bridge. People do not have to climb more than a few steps to cross over to the southbound trains. Do any other Hudson Division stations have a similar approach at the level of the overpass?
Thank you.[/b]
There are a few -- generally anytime the terrain next to the tracks is high enough. Not sure about every station, but a few I know for certain:

Spuyten Duyvil - There's a relatively-long pedestrian overpass which allows people to enter the station from an upper part of Edsall Avenue and get to either platform.
Marble Hill - the island platform between tracks 1 and 2 has a stairway which goes up between the tracks, then turns east over track 1 and leads directly to the sidewalk of W 225th Street.
University Heights - the island platform between tracks 1 and 2 has a stairway at the north end, which goes directly up to W Fordham Road.
Morris Heights - nearly identical to the set-up at University Heights, except the stairs are at the south end of the platform, leading up to W 177th St.

And way back up at the northern terminus of the line, the Poughkeepsie station's "street level" is higher than platform level, so there are no stairs from the station to the overpass. You'd only use stairs or an elevator to access the platforms.
  by truck6018

bellstbarn wrote:This topic arose because of the January 15, 2016, death of a young man at Philipse Manor station. Sad to relate, apparently he put himself in the way of a southbound train at the station platform.
The station layout had nothing to do with this incident. As has been mentioned, he intentionally walked/jumped in front of the train from the platform. Indeed a sad situation but with all the overpasses and under passes in the world would not have made a difference.