• Why don't most trains stop at Pinelawn?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

JT:

Pinelawn is in the heart of western Suffolk County's Cemetery District.

There is almost no available parking and a small two car platform in use at Pinelawn. There is a small waiting room and no TVM and is one
of the LIRR's exempt stations - meaning station fare is charged on board trains for riders boarding there without tickets.

Pinelawn is served by midday trains to primarily accommodate folks going out to pay respects at these cemeteries and is not close enough
to employment centers to make commuting there worth while.

I recall that one of the main reasons that Pinelawn was retained during the Hiclsville-Ronkonkoma Electrification in the late 1980s was the
proximity to Long Island National Cemetery - which is just north of the station location on Wellwood Avenue.

MACTRAXX
  by MattAmity90

Not only that, but the station is also used for deliveries and pickups. A Westbound train's front two cars platform, while an Eastbound's rear two platform. The only things that are electric there are two lights and a Solari sign.
  by Crabman1130

MattAmity90 wrote:Not only that, but the station is also used for deliveries and pickups.
What items get delivered or picked up?
  by Kelly&Kelly

We oldtimers recall when the deceased and their caskets were carried by train to Pinelawn too. They rode in the baggage car or the end platform of passenger trains. And, yes, there was a tariff that stated commutation tickets could not be used for the transportation of remains.
  by Engine 277

At least 43 years, that would make the latest possible date as 1972. It was probably even before that. Probably 1968. That would make it 48 years. There are no employees left on the LIRR who were there when Caskets were carried on trains. They are all retired or have passed. I know ths personally because I am retired and It was well before I started working there. I do recall being on an Amtrak train in 1976 that carried a couple of caskets to NY from Florida, in a baggage car.