• Visiting New York City

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by gprimr1

What's the parking situation at Newark Penn Station? It looks like there is a parking lot a block or two from the station?
  by time

There is a parking lot on the east side of Newark Penn station, and various private lots in the area (although not as close). If your goal is to visit New York City, and you don't care to actually ride New Jersey Transit, then a better option for you would be to park at the Harrison PATH station and take the PATH in. Less expensive parking and fare; more frequent service.

Secaucus Junction has a large parking lot available, and you don't need to drive through downtown Newark since it's right off the Turnpike. Others suggest parking at Metropark Station (junction of Turnpike and Garden State Parkway) for a longer train trip and cheap parking.

As far as parking in the lot on the east side of Newark Penn station, it's an Edison Park Fast lot. More info here: http://www.parkfast.com/newark-penn-sta ... th-parking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Secaucus Junction: http://www.parkfast.com/secaucus-parking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Harrison PATH: http://harrisonparkingcenter.com/rates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For MetroPark: http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet. ... Station=83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Nicholas Chen

At Newark there are some garages within walking distance of the station but none of them are run by NJT. As Time said, if you're planning on taking the PATH downtown it would be better to park at Harrison and for Midtown I would go for Metropark (I didn't know that parking was only $5 for 16 hrs) If you wanted a shorter time on the train then go for Secaucus, although parking is $28 for 12 hours.
  by F40

Nicholas Chen wrote:At Newark there are some garages within walking distance of the station but none of them are run by NJT. As Time said, if you're planning on taking the PATH downtown it would be better to park at Harrison and for Midtown I would go for Metropark (I didn't know that parking was only $5 for 16 hrs) If you wanted a shorter time on the train then go for Secaucus, although parking is $28 for 12 hours.
I realized the $9 is an all-day parking for weekends only at SEC (which apparently rose to $10 now). If you go on a weekday, there will probably be better options elsewhere.
  by time

Nicholas Chen wrote:As Time said, if you're planning on taking the PATH downtown it would be better to park at Harrison and for Midtown I would go for Metropark (I didn't know that parking was only $5 for 16 hrs) If you wanted a shorter time on the train then go for Secaucus, although parking is $28 for 12 hours.
You can still get to Midtown (33rd st.) from PATH. Just change at Journal Square. That said, it really depends on how long of a train trip your looking for, cost of parking, and convenience of access to the parking/transit facility. Port Jervis is great. :p
  by Nicholas Chen

time wrote: Port Jervis is great. :p
I would go with Bay Head :-)

Enjoy your trip to New York!
  by sean3f

WOW, $9 parking at SEC. And the NJT fare can't be more than 5 or so. Now that the PA fascists have the toll up to 15, that seems like a great alternative.

I did not know that you could actually drive up to SEC and park ( or drive up to SEC at all).
  by F40

sean3f wrote:WOW, $9 parking at SEC. And the NJT fare can't be more than 5 or so. Now that the PA fascists have the toll up to 15, that seems like a great alternative.

I did not know that you could actually drive up to SEC and park ( or drive up to SEC at all).
Yep. SEC has a parking area (run by Edison Park Fast), a drop off area, taxi area (many taxis stand by), and a new expanded bus lane. (Fare should be 4.25 to NY). Think of EWR as the black sheep. Normally stations should not be closed to the outside world.
  by time

F40 wrote:Think of EWR as the black sheep. Normally stations should not be closed to the outside world.
Bahhhd access.Very bahhhd. But imagine if there was parking at that station. Folks would use it for airport parking, unless there was some type of ridiculous fare or a nightly "out or tow."

Sidenote: quickest way to park at EWR? Drive up to the departures at your terminal. Park. Worry about getting the car out of jail later. Don't laugh, I know people who have done it! Not sure what type of rules / criminal offenses have been added since 9/11, but it used to be an 'option' if making your plane meant more than whatever the cost of doing so was.
  by gprimr1

We did the Path from Harrison. It was a great experience, I will def recommend it to friends, and it's a nice alternative to crossing onto Long Island.