• Delaware County Infrastructure Projects Unveiled

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Push&Pull Master

http://www.septa.org/media/releases/2014/04-21a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Construction on the Cobbs Creek and Darby Creek projects is scheduled to begin this fall, with Ridley Creek following next year. Meanwhile, SEPTA is also moving forward with the design phase on a project to replace the Crum Creek Viaduct, with construction expected to start in late 2015. All of these structures date back to the late 1800s and are well beyond their useful service lives.
I think this is very good news even though it has been discussed before but I felt that it wouldn't be a bad idea to share this press release with you all. In 5 years, the Media/Elwyn Line will be a much improved line with new bridges, catenary, stations, and Wawa service around 2020. Only downside is that all trains will end at Swarthmore for a year or two, but I think it's worth it in the long run.
  by SubwayTim

Wasn't the Crum Creek Bridge closed for a period back in the (early/mid) 1980's for some sort of reconstruction, with trains being bustituted beyond Swarthmore Station?
  by MACTRAXX

SubwayTim wrote:Wasn't the Crum Creek Bridge closed for a period back in the (early/mid) 1980's for some sort of reconstruction, with trains being bustituted beyond Swarthmore Station?
ST: Yes-it was in 1982-83 because of bridge deterioration...The Media-Elwyn line trains terminated at Swarthmore during that period...

MACTRAXX
  by Mumphrey O. Yamm

I remember when that happened. I was a kid, and my friends and I would go out onto the trestle to drop things from the deck of the bridge. Late in the afternoon or on weekends, there was nobody there to run us off, so we had free run of the place.

They would leave the trains on the tracks, just east of the trestle, and we heard about some kid a grade or two ahead of us who went up on top of one of the parked trains, got too near to the pantograph, and got zapped when the electricity arced to his foot. Melted his sneaker, or so the story went...
  by SubwayTim

I loved how the Ridley Creek viaduct used to have "LIONEL" painted on it! Kinda cute!
  by 25Hz

Can someone point me to where these bridges are? Not familiar with them.

Also, which bridge is this: http://prntscr.com/3otrh7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Quinn

Yes, that's Darby creek. 25hz's picture is actually a cropped version of the Google Street view, from Scottdale Rd on the south side of the bridge looking towards Clifton Heights. Gladstone is just overhead to the right.
  by 25Hz

SCB2525 wrote:That is Darby Creek.
Thank you!

I hope some part of these structures is preserved or repurposed. They are very beautiful from an industrial design standpoint with the lattice columns.

Also, of course it's street view, you think i'd take such a crappy photo of a bridge? :P
  by SCB2525

Cobbs, darby, and ridley Creek
bridges will be rehabbed and retimbered; Crum Creek will be replaced outright.
  by NorthPennLimited

.......waiting to see the estimate to rehab the west end of upper level 30th Street and all the steel that holds it up.
  by ekt8750

NorthPennLimited wrote:.......waiting to see the estimate to rehab the west end of upper level 30th Street and all the steel that holds it up.
I believe that Amtrak is responsible for that.
  by briant

The train Trestle was painted with Lionel Twice. First by some students from the Penncrest class of 1968 and again by students from the class of 1970.
  by Suburban Station

ekt8750 wrote:
NorthPennLimited wrote:.......waiting to see the estimate to rehab the west end of upper level 30th Street and all the steel that holds it up.
I believe that Amtrak is responsible for that.
I would think septa is responsible based on priia212