Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by joetrain59

I live in Bethel, nearly a stones throw from the tracks. About an 1-1/2 hour ago, I heard a train blowing for crossings. This Engineer seemed to be very melodic with his/her horn. Just enough air for the low notes, then ending up with higher notes. I do notice one train every weekday evening when the engineer knows how to blow that horn like a musical instrument. But what I heard earlier was very different. Maybe a Christmas tune? Very enjoyable to hear.
Joe D
  by FL9AC

If it was the shuttle with BL20GH that was probably me 😎. I try and feather the horn especially late at night.
  by joetrain59

Sounds like your work. I really like the way the horns echo off the ridge to the East.
Look for me trackside soon, keeping safety in mind of course.
Thanks,
Joe D
  by joetrain59

FL9AC, was that you at Bethel about 7:40 Friday night?
Joe D
  by FL9AC

joetrain59 wrote:FL9AC, was that you at Bethel about 7:40 Friday night?
Joe D
If you're looking for me in Bethel during the week I go through 3:23PM, 6:14PM, 6:48PM, and then 11:27PM those are station times at Bethel so through town would be a few minutes off from that. Otherwise weekends it's 4PMtil the last train.
  by Fishrrman

Engine horns used to be much more "controllable" due to the design of the horn valve itself.

Not so much any more...
  by DutchRailnut

correct the horn valve use to be two stage, a low/high setting if you will, these days all are replaced by single high only horn valve.
manipulating is not easy as your fighting spring tension plus air pressure.

the genesis has two horn settings low/high depending how far you push button.