Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ApproachMedium

Because NJT is too busy getting off on ALP45DPs and more Multilevels to care about older stuff that could help close some gaps in their power shortages. I am surprised that one P40 even runs anymore. NJT seems to want nothing to do with these things. They basically paid nothing for them.
  by Fan Railer

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 95&nseq=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Update on disposition from (I guess) Sully:
On July 19, 2015, all four of NJ Transit's ex-Amtrak P40DCs sit together at the MMC in storage. The locomotives and all associated spare parts have recently been sold to the Connecticut Department of Transportation for $3,850,000.00. These four GEs will likely end up in service on Shore Line East where they will reunite with a handful of other ex-Amtrak P40s in passenger service west of New Haven.
  by ApproachMedium

And you know that money will go for installing stupid inward cameras instead of fixing the 11 downed F40s that transit has and desperately needs running.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

At least CDOT will use them. Their 6 GP40-2H's are due to all go out for overhaul soon in a rebuild program that'll span the start of Hartford Line service. Plus they have to do some platform construction at New London station for Shore Line East before the M8 EMU's can operate there. The current short full-high platform has too big a gap to open the center doors on the M8's, so they have to raise and slightly retool track around one of the island low platforms before they can go uniformly electric end-to-end. EMU's will only go run the majority- Old Saybrook turning schedule in the early going with the diesels still having to run the much smaller-% schedule slots of thru trains to New London until that platform construction is done. Which will also overlap the Hartford Line's start.

They'll be legitimately spread a little thin on power with all of that--Geep rebuild, Hartford Line starts (and early non-revenue testing), and New London construction--all converging at once. Of course, they treat their P40's like crap and those things are so poorly maintained they smoke like you wouldn't believe. So SLE's riders won't even notice what sad condition NJT's black sheep Gennies are in. It's par for the course for them.

Frankly, I'm not sure why they're so set on rebuilding the Geeps and not the Gennies. Those 2H's are in pretty decent condition (not that light-duty SLE exerts much wear), but they'll have much easier time getting parts for a Genesis come 10 years from now vs. Geeps which are very rapidly dwindling in number in the passenger ranks.
  by nick11a

It's ashame. I only caught these engines a handful of times. I would have liked to have caught them more.

Correction, that's an ashame for me, not for NJT. :-) While some people are fans of them, some engineers are not.
  by Backshophoss

The current active ConnDOT P-40's hopefully get shipped to GE Erie for overhaul as their P-32's did.
Will Amtrak bring them to New Haven,or get lost at the black hole of Selkirk?
  by DutchRailnut

if they are FRA current, they could be moved by NJT and MN people (with NYP qualification) without Amtrak or other involvement.
  by AmTransit

I personally liked the P40's (or P40BH-2 as NJTRO designated them). I knew how to run them, they were different to handle than our other diesels but as long as you kept the current up and paid attention to what you and the locomotive were doing they could get off the dime faster than a GP40. Sorry to see them go...
  by TrainPhotos

Saw these on the ACL a few times. They seemed neat. Sorry I won't get to see them down here anymore...
  by Matt Johnson

Wonder if they'll get a new paint job.
  by DutchRailnut

probably not, just slap a peel and stick " connecticut Commuter Rail sticker on front and sides.
  by ApproachMedium

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: Frankly, I'm not sure why they're so set on rebuilding the Geeps and not the Gennies. Those 2H's are in pretty decent condition (not that light-duty SLE exerts much wear), but they'll have much easier time getting parts for a Genesis come 10 years from now vs. Geeps which are very rapidly dwindling in number in the passenger ranks.

I doubt that. EMD parts are still very available. passenger service has nothing to do with it. The HEP units are either cat or cummins generator sets. GE stuff historically has a 20-30 year life span and then they stop supporting it and making parts for it. But as of lately with this whole Tier 4 nonsense that may just be changing.
  by DutchRailnut

Are these units still at MMC ??