• Pass privileges restored for non-agreement employees

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

As a result of the recent Paris massacres, NJT has restored pass privileges for non-agreement employees, (unionized employees never lost theirs.) The reason is to have more employees riding the system who can spot and report suspicious activities. Included in suspicious activities is unauthorized photography of infrastructure and equipment.
This letter from Ronnie Hakim restoring non-agreement pass privileges was posted one day before her letter announcing her departure at the end of the year. So I wonder if there is a second reason for it, namely to do something nice for the company's most productive employees before she leaves? As J.P. Morgan said, "everything that happens has two reasons: the good reason and the real reason."
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by Ken W2KB

philipmartin wrote:As a result of the recent Paris massacres, NJT has restored pass privileges for non-agreement employees, (unionized employees never lost them.) The reason is to have more employees riding the system who can spot and report suspicious activities. Included in suspicious activities are unauthorized photography of infrastructure and equipment.
Of course, there can be no restriction nor need for authorization of photography from an area open to the public such as a public road, park or sidewalk. Likewise, from private property with permission of the owner or tenant.
  by philipmartin

Ken W2KB wrote: Of course, there can be no restriction nor need for authorization of photography from an area open to the public such as a public road, park or sidewalk. Likewise, from private property with permission of the owner or tenant.
That may be. I believe that you know more about the law than I do. However my wording is lifted direct from a letter that Ronnie Hakim posted yesterday. You may be snapping pictures of fast flying trains legally, but you may still get an interview with an NJ Transit policeman.