• NYC Proposal for residents-$2.75 fare on LIRR/MN

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by workextra

Please allow me to state that the LIRR and MNCR are not the NYC SUBWAY. Regardless of what our elected officials think, believe it feel. Same applies for the MTA Board.
If you want a slow local $2.75 sat here in ($3.00) ride then take the subway or the bus.
I understand where this theory comes from, but it's foolish. Who's going to make up for the losses? Will a fare hike for zone 4 East (LIRR) make up the difference? So a zone 4 to City Zone monthly should be $500.00 and why not just charge $800.00 for a zone 10 to City Zone?

Seriously give it some though. The only way this would be remotely possible would be the great City of New York raise their taxes again called the "commuter rail low fare subsidy tax" and every single resident in the City Limits inc SI should be on the hook.
If the MTA goes for this you'll see both MN and LI go public private. Never say Never. Who though LI bus would be Public Private.
  by Commuter X

You need to read in between the lines

Mayor Putz (de Blasio) is up for re-election in two years. Since he won with a minimum amount of support of the "middle class", he is trying to buy their votes

Never mind the MTA can't afford it -- The next Mayor (and Governor) will deal with the mess

Now I just need to find a place to park in Queens .....
  by DutchRailnut

De Blasio does not have enough votes on MTA board to get this past.
  by Engine 277

Stations like Little Neck, Douglaston, Bayside, would be overwhelmed with people who formerly took the bus and subway to work, if it was the same price. Complete insanity. Before I worked for the RR I used to take the Bus and subway to work. The LIRR was more expensive. I had a ten trip ticket for the LIRR, when i needed to get home early for various reasons, like a softball league. The RR only took 20 minutes from Penn to Bayside, the Number 7 and the Q 12, or 13, or 27 took well over an hour. The resulting overcrowding on the port wash trains, if the fares were the same, would be impossible to handle.
  by Morisot

LIRR & MN vs the Subway & NYC Bus

Upholstered seats vs hard-plastic bench seats and hold-bars

Bathrooms every-other car vs NO formal bathrooms on ANY car
  by Datenail

For this proposal, the City would have to reimburse the LIRR for the lost revenue. Similar to the revenue lost by allowing free rides for police. There is a police pass issued and the State reimburses the LIRR for the price of the pass. Dont pay any attention to it. The city cannot set fares on the commuter railways, only the MTA can do that. Similar to the Public Service commission for utilities. Prior to the MTA, only the Public Service commission could set fares. otherwise you would have every village and town demanding their own fare structure. The city might as well say that the rides are free.
  by freightguy

Is this Deblasio feeling more brazen after kicking in more money for the capital program from NYC? I'm sure similar proposals will follow with the city attempting to have more say.
  by NIMBYkiller

Considering this is sort of in the direction of what I had previously suggested, I feel a need to comment. For one, the city would have to cover the difference for this to even have a shot in hell of being acceptable. Second, the LIRR can certainly be considered a premium service compared to the subway due to its speed and (if you get a seat) comfort. Without speed, I'd consider it comparable to the express bus (coach seating, almost always guaranteed a seat). I think something like this would be more palatable. It means breaking Zone 1 into 2 zones, one for NYP/GCT (Zone 1) and one for Queens stations currently in zone 1 (placed in a new Zone 2):
Travel within same zone: $2.75
Travel to adjacent zone: $4.25 (current city ticket price)
Travel between zones 1 and 3: $6.50 (current MTA Express Bus fare)

My proposal was that the city subsidizes all service stopping at city zone stations. The reasoning behind that is that it would be cheaper than the combination of building and operating new subway lines to serve areas currently served by the LIRR. I was also proposing that the majority of service W of Bayside/Queens Village/Valley Stream be separated from service E of those points (with the exception of major stations like Jamaica) if it is physically possible given capacity constraints.

This $2.75 for the entire city proposal seems excessive. You can get from points in Queens beyond the subways reach into Manhattan for $2.75, but it requires a transfer. If you want the one seat ride, the express bus is $6.50. Doing $2.75 for the entire city without altering service, while amazing for mobility (and I'd sure as hell use it to get to Jamaica from Brooklyn), might cause some dangerous overcrowding issues.
  by DogBert

I'm tempted to just leave this here and get popcorn, neither endorsing or refuting this idea. But I will say within the city, the idea has support.
http://secondavenuesagas.com/2015/11/16 ... york-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYC would have to kick in for the lost revenue AND look at bolstering service on these routes, which is more or less impossible into Penn given the capacity situation.

Inside NYC, commuting is a growing nightmare, and people are looking under every rock trying to figure out how to fix it - unfortunately, some of those people are really really dumb and don't know a thing about how to run a railroad.
  by Datenail

This proposal was made by the same people who tell us that if the "front of the train is crowded, why can't we add more cars in the front?". It's not going to happen. And the city can't set fares on the commuter railways. Only the state can. Let them pass a law. It will be ignored.
  by MACTRAXX

NIMBYkiller wrote:Considering this is sort of in the direction of what I had previously suggested, I feel a need to comment. For one, the city would have to cover the difference for this to even have a shot in hell of being acceptable. Second, the LIRR can certainly be considered a premium service compared to the subway due to its speed and (if you get a seat) comfort. Without speed, I'd consider it comparable to the express bus (coach seating, almost always guaranteed a seat). I think something like this would be more palatable. It means breaking Zone 1 into 2 zones, one for NYP/GCT (Zone 1) and one for Queens stations currently in zone 1 (placed in a new Zone 2):
Travel within same zone: $2.75
Travel to adjacent zone: $4.25 (current city ticket price)
Travel between zones 1 and 3: $6.50 (current MTA Express Bus fare)

My proposal was that the city subsidizes all service stopping at city zone stations. The reasoning behind that is that it would be cheaper than the combination of building and operating new subway lines to serve areas currently served by the LIRR. I was also proposing that the majority of service W of Bayside/Queens Village/Valley Stream be separated from service E of those points (with the exception of major stations like Jamaica) if it is physically possible given capacity constraints.

This $2.75 for the entire city proposal seems excessive. You can get from points in Queens beyond the subways reach into Manhattan for $2.75, but it requires a transfer. If you want the one seat ride, the express bus is $6.50. Doing $2.75 for the entire city without altering service, while amazing for mobility (and I'd sure as hell use it to get to Jamaica from Brooklyn), might cause some dangerous overcrowding issues.
NK and Everyone:

This plan - if the City of New York gets the MTA to revise fares on LIRR and MNCR - is the only one that makes
any sense here...I do not see a $2.75 fare at all times to be practical...This would cost the MTA money and only
add to problems - such as a big increase in the City subsidy paid by City taxpayers to finance this change...

This would cause overcrowding and even affect extra fare services like NYCT express buses - which more
then likely would lose ridership to the rail lines in proximity...

This would cause problems like making stations near the Queens-Nassau boundary - Little Neck, Queens Village
and Rosedale - into extreme "magnet" stations especially with the potential huge fare differential - to stations in
Zone 4 - With the current City Ticket price at $4.25 and the off peak Zone 4 ticket costing $8.25 an example of
a large price variation now exists - and some problems such as riders buying the cheaper tickets and over riding
are known here on weekend train services...

This will only cause the City/Suburban MTA division to become even deeper and I expect strong opposition
from those MTA board members and suburban politicians to this proposal...

MACTRAXX
  by DogBert

MACTRAXX wrote: This would cause problems like making stations near the Queens-Nassau boundary - Little Neck, Queens Village
and Rosedale - into extreme "magnet" stations especially with the potential huge fare differential - to stations in
Zone 4 - With the current City Ticket price at $4.25 and the off peak Zone 4 ticket costing $8.25 an example of
a large price variation now exists - and some problems such as riders buying the cheaper tickets and over riding
are known here on weekend train services...
MACTRAXX
I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like about this plan, but you just nailed it. They would probably like that, because it might keep a few more autos out of downtown NYC. "Vision zero" blah blah blah.

The NYC city council consists of a lot of young guns who just plain don't know what they're wading into. There are people like Liz Crowley proposing stupid things like non-fra light rail on the lower montauk with no physical stations. 'Like a streetcar' she said. It would run from the mall in glendale to hunterspoint ave - not LIC terminal - hunterspoint ave. Think about that.

Their bright fluffy ideas are all, for the most part, going to go nowhere when faced with reality. Either that or they'll propose what some have suggested for subway cars: remove the seats and pack the cattle in. maybe they'll even install a trough.