• Sandite and Leaf Crusher trains

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LINYARailfan

Any word on when the Sandite trains will begin running? Also too will they be running leaf crusher trains to Greenport this year? If so what time will they be in Greenport? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  by nyandw

For reference: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmo ... hol%20Cars
Sandite is a sticky, slimy goo stuff. These are a set of cars that were converted with large tanks inside. They're used during the fall/winter. The cars drop the sandite on the railhead and it helps with traction. Alcohol is used on the 3rd rail to prevent freeze ups. A pair of these cars are out in KO, the one above, W85 and a P72. Both haven't been used in awhile. Now there are M1s used in place that have been converted. #2907 and #2909 are alcohol cars. Paul Strubeck
Photo: Mario Craig
  by Publius Plunkett

I don't think they will be operating Leaf Crushers anymore. The Track Dept. will handle the rail cleaning with their new machine. The Sandites are to start in a couple of weeks.
  by Slippy

Publius Plunkett wrote:I don't think they will be operating Leaf Crushers anymore. The Track Dept. will handle the rail cleaning with their new machine. The Sandites are to start in a couple of weeks.
Thanks to certain hoggers, transportation lost the leaf crusher work. MofE probably tired of cutting square wheels.
  by Amtrak7

How did the leaf crushers work? If I remember, they were NYA-hauled stone trains. But wouldn't sheer weight just make the pectin layer worse?
  by Datenail

The leaf crushers were hauled by lirr crews. They simply operated where the dispatcher designated and the weight of the train had a cleansing affect on the rail.
  by krispy

What's better? Waterworld (MNCRR) or sandite? I'm guessing the sandite is more persistant, but i've been wrong before.
  by Bad Luck

For those wondering, tonight is the first night of the sandites.
  by LINYARailfan

154 and 160 with the E591 on the Sandite train in Garden City at this time. Interestingly there was no tank car this time around.