Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Slippy

PTC will breed complacency with heavy reliance on technology. And yes, for any of the naysayers, PTC will absolutely change the way training is done. It will water down the human element and make it very challenging if not Impossible to recover from a delay.
  by Slippy

Supposedly beginning Q1 of 2016, the installation of inward/outward cameras within the operating cabs of M7's will begin along with PTC. In addition, I am hearing of upwards to 10 cameras within the car itself.

This should be an eye opener to T&E. And any mischief patrons who ride the LIRR. Maybe Kelly&Kelly's office caught wind of more specifics.
  by Kelly&Kelly

The camera installation is delayed a bit, of course, but it's no secret that the in-car cameras will be used for monitoring crew attendance and fare collection. In fact, their arrival has resulted in the Railroad's postponing plans for "finger-print" time clocks for trainmen. The thinking is that cameras, along with a new department of "Visual data revenue analysts" in Passenger Revenue Accounting will review the records to increase and assure employee productivity.

Engineers may no longer be able to pick their feet in a locked cab, but days of trainmen relaxing after fares are collected will be one more legend of the past.
  by Crabman1130

Kelly&Kelly wrote: but days of trainmen relaxing after fares are collected will be one more legend of the past.
What are they supposed to be doing, sweeping the isles?
  by ADL6009

There never were any plans for finger print time clocks for trainmen.
  by ADL6009

Kelly&Kelly wrote:The camera installation is delayed a bit, of course, but it's no secret that the in-car cameras will be used for monitoring crew attendance and fare collection. In fact, their arrival has resulted in the Railroad's postponing plans for "finger-print" time clocks for trainmen. The thinking is that cameras, along with a new department of "Visual data revenue analysts" in Passenger Revenue Accounting will review the records to increase and assure employee productivity.

Engineers may no longer be able to pick their feet in a locked cab, but days of trainmen relaxing after fares are collected will be one more legend of the past.
We can just add this to the never ending and ever growing list of BOGUS, baseless and unsubstantiated RUMORS started and spread via RR.NET.
  by Slippy

Crabman, train crew members should be patrolling their trains instead of watching Netflix on the way out to Montauk.

Kelly, funny you should mention face recognition technology. I heard the same thing. And in terms of inward facing cameras, I was told the camera will not have the engineer's face in view, but will have a birds eye view of their hand placement.
  by Datenail

We can just add this to the never ending and ever growing list of BOGUS, baseless and unsubstantiated RUMORS started and spread via RR.NET.
Random company trainmen cellphone audits from 2014 revealed of the 150 phone accounts audited, 123 were found to be used for non-business calls while the train the subject was on, was moving. Of the 123, 47 were used by the subject employee on every train they were assigned to, for non-business calls.
The remainder were used on a moving train at least once. Of course, adl will say this is all lies.

There are plans for a timeclock system for transportation but implementing it is a problem. I'm sure adl will say this is a lie too.
  by Kelly&Kelly

Seems there has never been technology introduced that has not, eventually been used to aid the discipline of wayward employees.

ADL is a voice that said cell phone GPS would never be used to prove employees AWOL. Or that MTA EasyPass camera records would never convict a coach cleaner or trainman who wasn't where he was supposed to be.

As you read this, at least 14 employees, four in Transportation, are facing dismissal for being absent while under pay. The evidence is Easy Pass photos and cell phone GPS data. One employee is fighting criminal charges.

Anyone who thinks on-board cameras will never be used to monitor productivity is simply kidding himself.

Just one more AWOL we'll be representing.
  by Engine 277

Why are the comments always negative? What about the professionals who do their jobs? Sure there are some who are awol. On the other hand there are those who do their jobs. How about a little balance?
  by Kelly&Kelly

In true Railroad tradition, I'm sure those who are observed doing an exceptional job will receive generous bonuses and perhaps turkeys for Thanksgiving.

The guys doing really super well may get a Certificate of Excellence they can frame.
Last edited by Kelly&Kelly on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Datenail

Good point eng277 but its the nature of the conversation. The tech we are discussing is not going to make a train on time or run faster. Its going to take over functions and responsibilities formerly in the hands of a train operator. And that is negative. Inward facing cab and car interior cameras are being installed because employees both T and E, are causing problems. Falling asleep operating trains, trainmen not collecting revenue sitting in cabs watching movies or talking on the phone. Do you have any idea of the amount of complaints we get each month from commuters complaining how they pay hundreds of dollars for a monthly and passengers rode free because the "conductor was in his booth arguing with his kids on the phone and not punching tickets". If guys were smarter about how they ignore duties and responsibilities, we wouldn't need this tech. Now we will have a minute by minute video of a train incident and if the engineer didnt do everything perfectly, we, the company will pay millions on a claim-and be forced to discipline someone who might have been a good employee but for that one crossing, he didn't blow his horn perfectly. You really think we want this? See the point?
  by Slippy

What's also becoming more common amongst the female trainmen with kids who may not have anyone to watch them or are tight on a budget is to bring them to work. I even recall years ago where a trainman brought their mischief kids to work and expected the engineer to entertain them as he ran the train.

Bottom line: Once you're at work, expect to do what is required of you. In the industry we rise and fall as one. And yes, despite what some say, a few bad apples ruins the cart.

Kelly, you forgot the coveted and prestigious, "Golden Punch Award." Although it's been some years since I can recall anyone worthy of such elite caliber due to extreme addiction of technology and lack of work ethic.
  by Engine 277

There was never ever any golden punch award. Stop the nonsense. In fact Conductors who did their jobs by the book, often got in trouble. RD for one, and lots of others. There was at one point a Conductor of the year award, and an Engineer of the year award. Another one was a perfect attendance award. The perfect attendance award, ya got a pin and a Mini Mag. Only award I ever got.
There were commendations for saving the life of a passenger or employee. I got 2 of them.
  by ADL6009

Kelly&Kelly wrote:Seems there has never been technology introduced that has not, eventually been used to aid the discipline of wayward employees.

ADL is a voice that said cell phone GPS would never be used to prove employees AWOL. Or that MTA EasyPass camera records would never convict a coach cleaner or trainman who wasn't where he was supposed to be.

As you read this, at least 14 employees, four in Transportation, are facing dismissal for being absent while under pay. The evidence is Easy Pass photos and cell phone GPS data. One employee is fighting criminal charges.

Anyone who thinks on-board cameras will never be used to monitor productivity is simply kidding himself.

Just one more AWOL we'll be representing.

i have never said any of those things that you claim i did. feel free to copy and paste from my previous posts if you think you can prove that I did, otherwise you are just flat out lying which futher destroys your credibility.

what i have said in the past is that since ive been following this RR.net message board, most of the "inside info" and rumors that are started / spread here in the end turn out to be bogus or completely off base, unreliable and misleading. the best example of this was during the jay walder days, just read page after page about all the nonsense about hundreds of trainmen being laid off, trainmen being retrained as engineers etc etc. the truth is there are no future plans at the LIRR that anyone knows about with 100% certainty, because plans are always changing. a new governor or MTA chairman or LIRR president and all of a sudden the game changes. what ever happened to the plan to sell off the oyster bay branch? to have trainmen on the new oyster bay branch clean trains between runs? oh thats right it died when helena left. so much for that inside info about the future.
since cameras in the train dont even exist yet why get all worked up about who will be looking at them? a new department just to look at cameras all day? i wouldnt put it past them but remember, 6 years ago RR.net told us there was a new department developing the smart card and that by 2015 the trainmen roster would be cut in half. interesting news to the 200 trainmen they just hired. but you are right, im always wrong. i will believe it when i see it. according to newsday the RR will have very specific rules about who can access the cameras and when and for what reason. the LIRR already has agreed in print not to allow access to the cameras to everyone. and btw does anyone really believe these cameras will remain functional after a year or two on the trains? lol. for christs sake the windows cant even close half the time.
are there screw ups who work for the RR? of course, just like every where else. no different, with or without cameras these people usually cause trouble for themselves without any additional help.
14 people are in trouble for not being at work? ok, but remember thats out of over 6,000 employees, not so impressive anymore is it??
as far as the RR phone, i knew as soon as i got it that it would be tracked, recorded and used against me. thats why i dont use it for anything other than calling wsy for my track and answering it when the PIO calls (sometimes the PIO calls from an unfamilair number, if i answered it one day and it turned out not to be the PIO would that count as a personal use call???)
you dont have to worry about defending me from an AWOL charge, ive been working as a conductor all year and i am always where i am supposed to be, i dont take collector jobs (they all suck). but even i recognise how tempting it can be to skip out on a train or go home early, but i know as a conductor i wont have that temptation. also i like the responsibility and higher pay.
the RR is very sneaky, i wouldnt put it past them to hire a private investigator to follow each and every employee around to find out what color underwear they wear. nothing is too far for them.
however, never forget this little gem when you get all worked up about all these future "plans"......THE RAILROAD IS RUN BY "D" STUDENTS. also "The best laid plans of mice and men...."
Last edited by ADL6009 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.