• REQUEST INFO OB - JERICJO TPK BRIDGE.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by vince

HI Folks,
I'm building the Oyster Bay Branch north from Mineola. I can usualy complete about a mile a day, less in crowded urban areas (which Mineola is).

Today the line crosses over the bridge what looks to be (in Google) six traffic lanes of Jericho Tpk.

Pretty sure it was a bridge ( not grade xing) in 1950 also but what size? 4 lanes? 6 lanes?
Here's the bridge I assembled last night, 4 traffic lanes:
ORTS 2015-09-29 Jericho Tpk Bridge.jpg
Sooo . . .the question is;
Does anyone remember how Jericho Tpk was configured in 1950? i.e. how many traffic lanes?
At present the bridge crosses 4 lanes + 2 sidewalks but would like to get it correct for 1950.
I've looked through the many LIRR sites and DO see some Jericho Tpk pics around Floral Park and I do know that Jericho slimmed down east of there. But I don't remember where and to what number of lanes?

Thanks in advance
Ooops! Forgot another question: What was the MAS (track speed) allowed on the Rockaway Beach Branch trestle across Jamaica Bay?
Again, thanks in advance for the assist.
  by vince

The photo maps go back to '66 and I see Jericho is 2 travel lanes each direction center island and 2 parking lanes, total 6. Okay! Perfect. I'll snap in the needed length bridge sections, add the needed longer track and third rails and will be good to go tonight.
Mineola1966 LIRRXJericho.jpg
regards and thanks Steve.
vince
Oh, Any takers for the Jamaica Bay trestle speed limits? Thanks in advance.
  by Backshophoss

Your best bet on the speed limit of the Jamaica Bay Branch would be an LIRR ETT of that time period.
Might have been 30 to 40 mph on the bridge as a guess
  by Head-end View

That section of Jericho Tpk. east of the LIRR bridge was widened to its present width in the early 1960's. I remember 'cause back then my Dad worked in a store on that stretch and the widening was going on when I was a kid spending a day with my Dad at work one summer. Unfortunately, I don't remember how the road looked before the widening. I remember my Dad saying they should have converted Jericho Tpk. to an expressway instead of just widening it.

I'm guessing the original road was four lanes without the middle turning lane. That's what Jericho Tpk. was like further east thru Old Westbury 'til widened in 1968 and thru parts of Jericho and Syosset until widened more recently.
  by vince

Thanks for the speed answer Backshop.
I was going to set it 45 if I couldn't get a reading and 40 will do fine. I'll let the question lay a while longer giving some of the older folks time to chime in. I get a LOT of good info from LIRR retirees, without which this project would not have been possible.
And now with the new freeware Open Rails TRain Simulator everybody can driver a train on the 1950's era LIRR.
Back to pounding spikes at East Williston today.

regards,
vince
Today's Pic.
RB_NorthChannelBr.jpg
MT_K4_FreshPondEB.jpg
  by LB

I've seen a photo of the bridge from the 1950's with a steam engine going over Jericho Tpke, and a boy standing underneath it. Definitely had 4 lanes back then, wish I could locate the photo (it was probably on E-Bay).
  by vince

Thanks to all.
The bridge is in as described by the folks who know and the speed limit to the sands of Rockaway Beach over the old wood trestle is set to 40 mph passenger and 25 mph freight.
The freight speed is a guess and will stand unless corrected.

I understand the RR did haul coal but not via the wood trestle but via Far Rockaway - Hammels - Rockaway Park.
Presumably it was ok and convenient to return the light empties via the trestle - and the Lower Montauk connection at Glendale Junction.

The connecting track runs behind the coal silos in the picture below. Shown here is a westbound Rockaway Park train passing Glendale Junction bound for New York Penn Station via Whitepot Junction at Rego Park.
MT_RockBeachBr_Xing.jpg
Thank you all for the info folks. It's vital for this project and much appreciated.
vince