• Amtrak's Experiements and Trials

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AgentSkelly

And something I remembered around 2000-2003ish was that on the Acela, wasn't there a trial of overhead mounted Compaq iPAQs or something that showed updated news feeds?
  by JimBoylan

Movies and audio entertainment in Viewliner Sleeping Car rooms.
  by Greg Moore

JimBoylan wrote:Movies and audio entertainment in Viewliner Sleeping Car rooms.
Eh I'd say that was more than an experiment. That was a featured service for a number of years.
  by rohr turbo

JimBoylan wrote:Amtrak did run a borrowed European Talgo train to Boston, and for propulsion, used 2 of the power cars from the French edition of equipment that we aren't supposed to mention, since they had the proper European couplings.
Are you sure about that? Can you post any photos?

I know a pair of Rohr Turboliner powercars towed the X2000 to Providence and Boston during those exhibition days in 1990s.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1027284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1339544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak911/proto/amtk154.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did find one photo of a Turbo with a Talgo, but again it is the Rohr variety:

http://www.carmenmontero.com/talgo/evolucion/88mayo.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Further, I believe the French Turboliners had conventional couplers on their nose, so the European coupler explanation is baffling.
  by MP85 803

Actually, The standard knuckle couplers on the ends of the power cars on French RTG turboliners were for rescuing or towing the equipment. These trains retained their European side buffers and link/screw type couplers for inter car connections due to the lack of a center sill. I believe the European design has strengthened side sills resulting in the use of buffers and different (to the US) coupling system. These trains were not banned from Grand Central. They were tested a number of times with no issues. On the first day of revenue service, the train set arrived in Grand Central without incident. On the outbound (northbound) that evening, the train derailed over a tight crossover in Grand Central. The cause of the derailment was found to be the side buffers laterally overriding (binding) each other while traversing the crossover. After the cause was identified, the trains were allowed to operate again in regular service in and out of GCT with specified routes restricting them from the tight crossovers. They remained in regular service out of Grand Central until all Amtrak service was moved to Penn Station.
  by RRspatch

I seem to remember two Amtrak experiments that might be worth mentioning -

1) The Amsleeper. These were two Amfleet 1 coaches that had two Superliner Roomettes installed at one end. If I recall correctly the numbers were 22800 and 22801. They were used on the Shenandoah between Washington and Cincinnati until that train was dropped.

2) The tilting Amcoach. An Amfleet 1 cars was equipped with a tilting system and tested between New Haven and Boston. Amtrak also tested some LRC cars on this route but I think someone has already mentioned that.
  by Greg Moore

RRspatch wrote:I seem to remember two Amtrak experiments that might be worth mentioning -

1) The Amsleeper. These were two Amfleet 1 coaches that had two Superliner Roomettes installed at one end. If I recall correctly the numbers were 22800 and 22801. They were used on the Shenandoah between Washington and Cincinnati until that train was dropped.

2) The tilting Amcoach. An Amfleet 1 cars was equipped with a tilting system and tested between New Haven and Boston. Amtrak also tested some LRC cars on this route but I think someone has already mentioned that.

Interesting, I had heard about the Amsleeper, but not the tilting Amcoach.
  by Mackensen

RRspatch wrote:
The "Ampad"--22900 and 22901. IIRC Congress passed a law mandating certain levels of service for overnight trains, including sleeping accommodations, so Amtrak did the conversion to avoid putting a real sleeper on the Shenandoah. I think it did get a real sleeper before discontinuance; the trial didn't last long.
  by Amtk30

Good afternoon.

I can concur the Shenandoah did indeed have a full 10-6 sleeper at least circa-1980. Rode in the sleeper Cincinnati to Cumberland. Rode again before it's discontinuance w/o sleeper c1981. Wish I could have ridden that Amsleeper!

Amtk30
  by dumpster.penguin

There was reportedly an experiment with "Subway" food service on the trains in New York State.
  by Greg Moore

dumpster.penguin wrote:There was reportedly an experiment with "Subway" food service on the trains in New York State.
Ah yes, the one day experiment on the Empire service trains. The union wasn't happy and made it clear.
  by Greg Moore

Greg Moore wrote:
dumpster.penguin wrote:There was reportedly an experiment with "Subway" food service on the trains in New York State.
Ah yes, the one day experiment on the Empire service trains. The union wasn't happy and made it clear.

Ah, to correct myself a bit. It was longer than a day. It was just under a week.
URPA has independently confirmed from non-Amtrak sources that the project was abruptly terminated because of union pressure. Apparently, rightly so.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is all you'll ever want to know about the Amtrak/Drs. Associates debacle.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by NealG

Hamhock wrote:Does anyone know what train Amtrak took up to Maine in 1990 for an exhibit? I once saw a photo of it sitting on the abandoned Union Branch in Portland, but can't find it anywhere.
Could it have been this? I remember visiting this while it was on display in Boston North Station for a few days in the 1990s (and I remember some kid sitting in the engineer's seat hit the horn button, which was active, making everyone waiting on the platforms jump). I think the Globe had an article about its experimental runs on the Fitchburg Line and passengers' reaction to it (they were very positive). I meant to ride it, but never got around to it.