• REGIONAL RAIL POSITIVE TRAIN CONTROL [PTC] IMPLEMENTATION

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by RDGAndrew

No, it was down near Rydal. I haven't ever seen a one-car train there, and the fact that it was on the outbound track but headed inbound was odd. Plus based on the time and its speed, it seemed to be a deadhead move so I thought maybe some PTC testing was happening.
  by ExCon90

Was riding a SLV last night; the engineer had the shade partway up, so I looked in to watch the cab signals. Instead of the traditional position-light format I saw a small green square, and to the right of it the word CLEAR illuminated in white. Later on I saw a yellow square over a green square, and the words
APPROACH
MEDIUM illuminated, also in white.
A little later I saw a red square over a yellow square. I'm wondering whether this indicates that the unit has been in for its conversion to PTC, and whether there are any other modifications to the cab signals, such as accommodating additional speeds. I'm kind of surprised that they apparently didn't change to a circle with numerals around the circumference, and corresponding colors. Any engineers on here who can enlarge on this?
  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote:Was riding a SLV last night; the engineer had the shade partway up, so I looked in to watch the cab signals. Instead of the traditional position-light format I saw a small green square, and to the right of it the word CLEAR illuminated in white. Later on I saw a yellow square over a green square, and the words
APPROACH
MEDIUM illuminated, also in white.
A little later I saw a red square over a yellow square. I'm wondering whether this indicates that the unit has been in for its conversion to PTC, and whether there are any other modifications to the cab signals, such as accommodating additional speeds. I'm kind of surprised that they apparently didn't change to a circle with numerals around the circumference, and corresponding colors. Any engineers on here who can enlarge on this?
Yeah that's the new PTC readout. You can see it in action in the video on this page:

http://septa.org/media/short/2015/07-08.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ExCon90

Thanks, I thought it might be that. Do you know whether it can be modified for future additional indications, or are they sticking with the basic 4 indications indefinitely?