• Plane Crash in Hicksville / Service Suspension

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

Surprised that NICE Bus actually took part in the shuttle bus effort, this would be the first time since MTA left that Nassau provided buses for LIRR. Also a mix of school and NYC buses there as well.
The impact on the Montauk Branch didn't seem to be as bad as I thought, all those trains that travel via the Central had to be rerouted to the Babylon Branch.
Full service has been restored this evening with only minor delays.
  by MattAmity90

Wow, and it looks like the third rail and tracks weren't even damaged! Although someone said the overhead crossing light cantilever was damaged. Funny how it happened at the former Grumman airstrip. By the way this is not a forum about complaining about the LIRR, we talk serious business here, share flashbacks on history, and put our opinions on projects, not about saying that trains are late. A 5:35 PM train is not going to pull in at precisely 5:35 PM.
  by jamestrains1

MattAmity90 wrote:Wow, and it looks like the third rail and tracks weren't even damaged! Although someone said the overhead crossing light cantilever was damaged. Funny how it happened at the former Grumman airstrip. By the way this is not a forum about complaining about the LIRR, we talk serious business here, share flashbacks on history, and put our opinions on projects, not about saying that trains are late. A 5:35 PM train is not going to pull in at precisely 5:35 PM.
By the way:
NJ Transit Rail
Commuter Rail Delay Discussion 2015
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 9&t=158639
MTA Metro-North Railroad incl CTDOT (SLE and Hartford Line)
2015 Delays & Service Disruptions Tracker
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=158729
SEPTA (and PATCO)
Report SEPTA Delays Here:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 72&t=53078
Chicagoland Commuter & Transit
Service Disruptions
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61&t=25150
LIRR is serious business.
  by RGlueck

I think the real issue here is how Newsday can blame the railroad for this accident.

I believe thee was a survivor, which is a miracle.
  by Kelly&Kelly

The LIRR traditionally calls just about all the private bus companies when it needs buses during a service disruption. NICE (Nassau County) is the first called, which always provides service unless all their capacity is being used during rush hours.
  by Amtrak7

Kelly&Kelly wrote:The LIRR traditionally calls just about all the private bus companies when it needs buses during a service disruption. NICE (Nassau County) is the first called, which always provides service unless all their capacity is being used during rush hours.
This was true before LIB became NICE, I'm not sure how true it is now. I know if there's a Hempstead/West Hempstead incident NYCT is called first, but I don't think I've ever heard of NICE shuttling before this incident.
  by Head-end View

I like RGlueck's comment re: Newsday. Yes they will probably publish a four page story about the LIRR's being totally unprepared for aircraft incursions on their tracks which are totally unprotected from low-flying aircraft!
  by workextra

Whats next? NEWSDAY will demand obstruction light and ROW incursion warning devices installed and integrated into the PTC.
  by SemperFidelis

And though this had nothing to do with terrorism, let's make sure we come down with some draconian new measures to make small aircraft operation more safe. If you don't agree, you probably hate 'Murica.
  by krispy

No, Bethpage was consumed quickly. The NCPD and Cablevision have helipads, but only thing they could've caught would've been an open parking lot. Doable in a healthy Bonanza, but one with a failing engine - who knows? I'm wondering why he passed up Farmingdale or the golf course, but he may not have had a choice. What's amazing is he missed the giant powerlines that run parallel to the tracks and any occupied building. RIP for the pilot, and speedy recovery for the passenger.
  by joetrain59

Read yesterday on WABC-TV.com., that pilot was directed to "Bethpage Strip" by an air traffic controller. Apparently he was unaware it doesn't exist anymore.
Joe D
  by freightguy

Wow I guess a mechanical failure, but like many railroad incidents human error certainly plays a major role.