Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jeff Smith

Admin Note: This topic concerns the sideswipe incident. Let's stop the flaming, etc. and let's not bring unsubstantiated rumors concerning the engineers of this incident OR engineers on other railroads in other incidents into this. Keep it to the incident at hand. Speculation is not banned, but accusations against personnel are until they are released. We apparently know that a stop signal was missed/ran. That's about it. There's no need for inflammatory comments, psychoanalysis, hyperbole' or existential debate here.
  by litz

Leaving the politics aside, the cause is clear ... one train did not stop where the signal said they should.

Why? that's what the NTSB will discover. Possible causes?

Engineer simply didn't stop ...
Signal aspect was obscured by sun conditions
Signal didn't display correct aspect (malfunction)
etc.
etc.

We simply don't know - the NTSB, you can be sure, will examine every single possibility exhaustively.

Regardless of what you read in the news, or what persons involves with various organizations may say.

Anything up to the point where the final report is issued, is speculation.
  by DutchRailnut

NTSB does not investigate every violation,only incidents with casualties or material damage exceeding a certain threshold.
In this case the Railroad will report their investigation to FRA who may or may not do its own investigation.
  by Kelly&Kelly

Sorry that our posts were deleted. It seems technical detail isn't permitted here. We'll stick with buff stuff from now on.
  by vince

I wonder if T-Boning and totaling a semi qualify for NTSB under material damage?
Does damage to trackside equipment (gates/ect.) count?
Thankfully no loss of life that forces a NTSB look. It's just that I consider the reports 'school' on safe rr operation and good reading.
I'm building the LIRR so I have to know safe operation right?
FR_Valley Traffic00 .jpg
vince
  by Jeff Smith

Kelly&Kelly wrote:Sorry that our posts were deleted. It seems technical detail isn't permitted here. We'll stick with buff stuff from now on.
You're missing the point, or misrepresenting it, perhaps intentionally. Technical detail is welcome; inflammatory posts about unrelated topics are not. Please address moderation concerns directly to the moderator of the forum, or myself as administrator. Personally, the sarcasm doesn't help. It's neither a "buff" forum, nor a "railroader" forum.

It was pointed out to me that conjecture about the state of an engineer in an unrelated incident was posted here without substantiation. No judgement about their accuracy; just about their relevance and the fact that they were premature. There was no reason for the post, nor was there any reason for the soapbox posts about the quality of present-day engineers. Hardly "technical details".

Related posts to that were also deleted as they were no longer relevant; no judgement on the responses. Just collateral damage so to speak. You'll also note that inflammatory posts seeking to quell debate were also deleted, as were posts that contained ad hominem attacks.

Please move on, and leave the kindergarten stuff at home.
  by Liquidcamphor

I warned you guys in a previous post about off-topic discussion and sniping at each other. It only leads to deleted posts and locked topics. Most of all it takes away from the fun of contributing to this Forum.
  by SwingMan

Even if it was a signal malfunction, the EB clearly had a train crossing in front of it. It's wrong to speculate, but if the train had a clear signal and had stopped anyway, then this would be moot. When everything is happening in plain view at 10-15mph, the room for error should be very low. Over blowing it into a safety issue would be nonsense.
  by philipmartin

David Schanoes mentions this collision in a Railway Age article, linked to below. There is a YouTube link in his article, to the MTA Board - LIRR Committee Meeting of 9/20/15 in which this accident is thoroughly explained.
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/blo ... dents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by philipmartin

That video-taped Committee Meeting discusses other interesting things: Reserved seating on the Cannon Ball sold out for the summer; inability of the railroad to increase Montaulk service because it is single track, with no yard at the end; and east side connection, are a couplethat I noticed.
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by SwingMan

It's less a matter of lack of railroad and more that it would be a hell of a process to do all the paperwork. The fact of the matter is they don't even have the equipment to accomplish what they need right now.
  by philipmartin

When Nowakowski is asked about running two trains an hour to Montaulk, he responds that lack of capacity in equipment and tracks precludes it.
As for PTC he seems to be saying that closeness of trains to each other in Jamaica rules it out there.