• Fastest Track in US Outside Northeast

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Nasadowsk

Up in Canada, Via has some 100mph track. IIRC, the train that runs over it has the highest average speed in North America

by metrarider

in the US, it would probably be the Chicago - Springfield line which has been upgraded to support 110 mph operation in parts, but as yet this is not seeing revenue service.

Also, portions of the Michigan line (Chicago - Detroit) is running revenue service at 90mph and is supposed to be upgraded to 110mph operation sometime Real Soon Now

There are also a few other locations seeing 90mph service outside the NE, such as the surfliners in S Cali.

by DutchRailnut

The 150 mph test loop in AAR test center in pueblo Co :-D

by drewh

PHL - HAR is supposed to be upgraded to 110mph service. Its also the only other electric Amtrak corridor.

The fastest time now on the route is the Pennsylvanian at 1hr 50min with 2 stops. For 100 some miles I guess that puts the route at about 65.

NYP - ALB does 150 miles in 2.5 hours with 6 stops. Not sure what the actual speed is but it seems comparable to the NEC at times. Figure 5 mins per stop is 30 mins, that means the rest is 75mph.

by hsr_fan

drewh wrote:NYP - ALB does 150 miles in 2.5 hours with 6 stops. Not sure what the actual speed is but it seems comparable to the NEC at times.
90 mph max on Metro North to Poughkeepsie, then 95 mph with one stretch of 110 mph track between Pouhgkeepsie and Albany.

by AmtrakFan

On Via's Toronto-Montreal line it is 105 MPH.

by hsr_fan

AmtrakFan wrote:On Via's Toronto-Montreal line it is 105 MPH.
I thought it was 100 even, although I don't think they have the type of advanced speed enforcement that exists on the NEC! :wink: The P42/LRC coach trains have been clocked at or near 110!

by AmtrakFan

hsr_fan wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:On Via's Toronto-Montreal line it is 105 MPH.
I thought it was 100 even, although I don't think they have the type of advanced speed enforcement that exists on the NEC! :wink: The P42/LRC coach trains have been clocked at or near 110!
When I was on it was 105 MPH between Toronto and Ottawa.