• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

Billerica is indeed owned by the MBTA and leased to Pan Am. Pan Am controls access.
  by blackcap

The Billerica Shops were part of the B&M commuter assets that were sold to the MBTA in 1976, according to NETransit's history of the T, and the B&M (and its legal successors) were most likely granted the right to continue occupying the property, similar to the trackage rights granted in perpetuity as part of the sale.
  by travelsoccerkid1

I went up to the Billerica Shops today at Iron Horse Park. The Screamers are hidden way in the back. I couldn't find them for a good 10 minutes until I was driving back to the main road and just barely caught a glimpse of the purple stripe. Unless you were specifically looking out for them, you'd have no idea they were up there, and even then, they're tough to spot. I then drove around to the bridge over the Lowell mainline on Pond Street but couldn't see far enough into the Shop tracks to see the Screamers. So the only way for any unauthorized personel to access the engines is by treking through the woods or walking down the tracks.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

travelsoccerkid1 wrote:I went up to the Billerica Shops today at Iron Horse Park. The Screamers are hidden way in the back. I couldn't find them for a good 10 minutes until I was driving back to the main road and just barely caught a glimpse of the purple stripe. Unless you were specifically looking out for them, you'd have no idea they were up there, and even then, they're tough to spot. I then drove around to the bridge over the Lowell mainline on Pond Street but couldn't see far enough into the Shop tracks to see the Screamers. So the only way for any unauthorized personel to access the engines is by treking through the woods or walking down the tracks.
Which, unfortunately, is exactly the way most unauthorized person(s) get in there for mischief.
  by GP40MC1118

The MBB coaches were removed from the Grand Jct this morning and should be
on the Neponset Industrial Track in S. Boston. Eventually headed to Davisville.

D
  by Bill Reidy

Driving on County Road on the Wareham/Rochester line yesterday, I noticed a string of MBTA coaches on the siding in the area of the old Harris Rebar plant in Rochester. Anyone know the story on these cars? Are these some/all of the MBB cars reported on NETransit as "At Mass Coastal Hyannis, held for possible refurbishment and use as a future permanent dedicated CapeFlyer set: 500, 501, 505, 507, 508, 516, 518, 519, 526, 1503, 1510" -- http://www.transithistory.org/roster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? None of these car numbers are on this year's dedicated CapeFLYER train set.

Thanks.
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="ck4049"]They're on Pan Am property. I'm not too sure as to where exactly they put them but I hope to God they are unaccessable to the public.[/quote]

If there's anything I know about The Billerica Shops, it's that there's not a single area that's inaccessible to the public.
  by drvmusic

diburning wrote:From this photo here, it appears that the numberboards are missing, and possibly a plaque from the side.
One comment on the photo says they were already missing when they left BET, but I'm not sure about that. I wish they had some kind of security there. Those screamers have some life left in them.
  by ck4049

I have one question that really has been pondering me. How did the photographer of that picture get onto the property in North Billerica, locate those screamers, and get up close enough to get some decent shots?

ck4049 wrote:I have one question that really has been pondering me. How did the photographer of that picture get onto the property in North Billerica, locate those screamers, and get up close enough to get some decent shots?
Judging from the number of NERail awards that guy's photos have racked up, he probably was able to pull some favors for official access. That's by-the-book railfannery, not a one-off trespasser who got lucky.
  by bmcdr

drvmusic wrote:
diburning wrote:From this photo here, it appears that the numberboards are missing, and possibly a plaque from the side.
One comment on the photo says they were already missing when they left BET, but I'm not sure about that. I wish they had some kind of security there. Those screamers have some life left in them.
All of the dedication plaques were removed by the people here at B.E.T. It is hoped that the "T" will allow us to re-apply them to the new HSP's.

bmcdr wrote:
drvmusic wrote:
All of the dedication plaques were removed by the people here at B.E.T. It is hoped that the "T" will allow us to re-apply them to the new HSP's.
"Mr. Commuter Rail" needs to be earmarked for 2000 if 1000 isn't going to a museum. Wouldn't be right any other way.
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="F-line to Dudley via Park"][quote="ck4049"]I have one question that really has been pondering me. How did the photographer of that picture get onto the property in North Billerica, locate those screamers, and get up close enough to get some decent shots?[/quote]

Judging from the number of NERail awards that guy's photos have racked up, he probably was able to pull some favors for official access. That's by-the-book railfannery, not a one-off trespasser who got lucky.[/quote]

Certainly just a (not so one-off) one-off trespasser. I'm not sure who here has actually been to this area but if you get up there on a weekend, it's very empty of people and really easy to explore.

I'm not condoning trespassing or doing that. I'm just telling it how it is. At least in 2007/2008. I haven't been to the area since.