• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

It actually was 11 units: Add the 1001, 1007 & 1012

Sorry ST214 about the 1012!

D
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:Following F40PH-2's will be headed to Billerica today for storage:

1002, 1003, 1005, 1006, 1008, 1011, 1015, 1017

D
So they're going to be vanalized to hell on an insecure site just like NJT's F40's in Garwood that had their number boards stolen...amongst other aesthetic alterations. Lovely. :(
Should have been sent to Seaview :(
  by drvmusic

Indeed a sad day. Why Billerica? Is it a kind of "limbo" for them?

Did anyone happen to photo or video any part of the move?
  by GP40MC1118

Somebody got a video and might be on their Facebook page tonight. Saw a quickie
still of it going by Mystic Jct. They shoved out to Billerica caboose first.

I assume the rest will go to Billerica in due time. We'll see. I agree with going to Seaview
instead. They leased 60 spaces after all.

D
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

drvmusic wrote:Indeed a sad day. Why Billerica? Is it a kind of "limbo" for them?

Did anyone happen to photo or video any part of the move?
Unless Seaview only has enough storage for the MBB coaches and the 3 MARC leaser locomotives that MBCR never paid the waybill to return to MPI, or if there's some fine-print in the lease limiting the usage to just what's there. I would've thought Seaview would be the preferred one-stop storage site for all dispersals. Maybe it still is and this is just a temporary move to clean out the BET dead line quickly until they bring 'em back down for the next scheduled Seaview dump run. Since they just hauled a bunch of MBB's down it's going to be weeks before they've accumulated enough new retirees to need to do another delivery to RI.

But yikes...Billerica is way insecure. And even if some units end up scrapped there'll be a few survivors going to excursion carriers or intact/operable for somebody's future parts source considerations. They have vested interest in making sure the windows don't get smashed, carbodies all graffitied, and souvenirs harvested by all the ne'er do wells who can easily get onto the Billerica property for mischief. Other T equipment that's been stored up there has gotten scuffed up pretty thoroughly by the taggers.
  by ST214

GP40MC1118 wrote:It actually was 11 units: Add the 1001, 1007 & 1012

Sorry ST214 about the 1012!

D
:(

This is a sad day. I hope the vandals go easy on her and her sisters. After seeing what happened to a bunch of the buses sitting up there, I am not holding out much hope. Even worse, the risk of copper thieves stripping them carelessly of copper and turning them into scrap fodder. :(
  by ck4049

I bet they knew North Billerica was one of the worst places to send them but they just did it anyway...
  by Gerry6309

ck4049 wrote:I bet they knew North Billerica was one of the worst places to send them but they just did it anyway...
More to the point...

Why is the T/Keolis leasing screamers while retiring their own? Overhauls due perhaps?
  by nomis

Probably more economical from a maintenance cost standpoint ...
  by Sprinter611

Anyone know if the F40's in Billerica can be photographed without trespassing? I'd like to get some shots of them all together.
  by ck4049

They're on Pan Am property. I'm not too sure as to where exactly they put them but I hope to God they are unaccessable to the public.
  by BostonUrbEx

ck4049 wrote:They're on Pan Am property. I'm not too sure as to where exactly they put them but I hope to God they are unaccessable to the public.
MBTA owns Billerica Shops.