• Huntington/Port Jeff weekday midday changes

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

I notice middays that Port Jeff trains are now every 2 hours and the times for Huntington trains are different. Is this permanent or (more likely) for summer trackwork?
They do mention work on weekends in mostly June & July with bustitution between Huntington & Port Jeff as well as hourly service west of Huntington for two of those weekends due to switch renewal.
I assume it is because of these projects, though there was no notice about the weekday midday changes that I can recall.
  by Head-end View

This is the summer schedule designed to permit track maintenance to be done with a little less train traffic. They've done this some other years too. You'll see, in September it'll probably go back to the old schedule.
  by Handtamp

Looks like the timetable is set-up to fit in trackwork between Mineola and Hicksville.

Weekend work on the Port Jeff would probably be concrete tie work, similar to the project just performed from Sayville to Patchogue in March and April.
  by pineywoodsman

Handtamp wrote:Looks like the timetable is set-up to fit in trackwork between Mineola and Hicksville.

Weekend work on the Port Jeff would probably be concrete tie work, similar to the project just performed from Sayville to Patchogue in March and April.

That's what I thought. I wonder if they will ever use concrete ties on the Main Line in Nassau though, it seems most of the work is being concentrated on diesel branches.
I have noticed some brush trimming going on between Syosset & Cold Spring Harbor as well.
  by THIRD AVENUE EL

There was very little communication of these schedule changes. They sent an alert at 5:00 a.m. the morning of the schedule change but provided no details or clarification of what was actually changing. The page on the website also didn't mention any of the midday changes, guess they were too busy tooting their own horn on how adding a single stop to three already existing trains are considered "significant service improvements".