Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraRI

How come Heritage Corridor trains don't use an actual platform at Joliet today, like they used to? Was a switch removed connecting BNSF to UP after JOL?

HC train using Joliet Platform, some time ago. Interesting note: looks like 117 was in the process of getting ditch lights at the time.

by Rockingham Racer

If they're not using a platform for the stop, what are they using?

by metraRI

HC along with Amtrak trains basically use several long pedestrian crossings instead of a platform. I'm guessing that they are not ADA accessible.

You can see them in these two pics.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=88951
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=77555

Joliet could use some new platforms on the HC side of the station. Metra recently fixed up the RI side, now I think its time for the other half.

by AmtrakFan

Well If Amtrak could use them I'd agree but I don't see it happening due to lack of space between Tracks 2 and 3.

by MikeF

The short "crosswalk" platforms at Joliet are indeed wheelchair accessible (check the HC timetable). This type of platform arrangement is often used when space is tight and can be seen at several "city" stations on the Milwaukee District and at the Hegewisch station of the South Shore Line.

I'm guessing Heritage Corridor trains use the CN-IC track at Joliet now simply because BNSF doesn't want Metra trains sitting on its tracks for an extended period of time.

by metraRI

I guess crosswalks are accessible. I have never seen a wheel chair lift being used on them, which is the reason I asked.

Would the Joliet Tower even let a BNSF train go by while HC is at Joliet?

In addition to the soon to be gone MILW-W stations that use this arrangement, several RI stations like Blue Island, 99th St., Washington Heights, and Longwood use crosswalks in place of platforms. 123rd and 127th Streets on RI don't even have the crosswalks, just gravel.

by AmtrakFan

metraRI wrote:I guess crosswalks are accessible. I have never seen a wheel chair lift being used on them, which is the reason I asked.

Would the Joliet Tower even let a BNSF train go by while HC is at Joliet?

In addition to the soon to be gone MILW-W stations that use this arrangement, several RI stations like Blue Island, 99th St., Washington Heights, and Longwood use crosswalks in place of platforms. 123rd and 127th Streets on RI don't even have the crosswalks, just gravel.
Yes BNSF would I have seen them to do it to Amtrak.

by c604.

"Would the Joliet Tower even let a BNSF train go by while HC is at Joliet?"

There's a rule that says something to the effect of no train can go by on the immedeate adjacent track between the passenger train and the platform while the passenger train is loading and unloading for obvious reasons.

by MikeF

metraRI wrote:In addition to the soon to be gone MILW-W stations that use this arrangement
Soon to be gone? The new Hanson Park station has this arrangement, which some might see as a "step down" from the old station there, which featured two full platforms.

by metraRI

Hermosa and Cragin are the stations I was talking about, which will be replaced by a new Cicero Ave. station. Hanson Park's arrangement is most likely temporary until they can start construction on a new platform. I would find it odd for them to use the crosswalks when MILW-W goes to center track express later this year.

by bones

There was a crossover between the ATSF and the GM&O which was taken out of service.

by metraRI

Thanks bones. Any idea why it was removed and not replaced?

by MetraRy

thanks for explaining bones. i have been wondering for some time why the hc never uses the platform tracks anymore. im hoping that the hanson park situation is just temp, but this is metra... you never know what there thinking

by Tadman

On NICTD, Ogden Dunes is a recent revamp with the crosswalk-style platforms, but they also have 5' high platforms for wheelchairs. At Hegewisch, it's just crosswalks, and that's also post ADA (about ten years old I think).

by metraRI

This may be a little off topic, but I thought it was interesting:

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Rock Island Joliet Station Repairs
Due to emergency track repairs at the Joliet station, all trains will board and unload from the Heritage Corridor platforms on the north or opposite side of the depot. Please follow directions from the train crew when boarding. We expect the repairs to be completed by early afternoon.

Posted: 08:56 AM CDT