Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by GP40MC 1116

I was curious as to the status or disposition of CDOT locomotives and coaches. Are there any FL9 and/or SPV coaches stored in New Haven currently?
  by runningwithscalpels

A whole string of both. Probably 6 or so FL-9's and plenty of neutered SPV's. When passing Ikea on 95 you can see them.
  by Backshophoss

Somewhere in New Haven there was an ex-NYC S motor bound for the Museum at Branford,
did it evey get to the museum? or was it scrapped?
  by TomNelligan

I remember the S-motor in New Haven -- it was the 4715, originally NYC 115 -- but that was back in the 1980s! It never made it to the Branford museum because it was too heavy to safely cross the wood pile trestle at Sprague and too big/heavy to truck in via Farm River Road. Thankfully it found another home. It wound up going to the Illinois Railway Museum where it currently resides.
  by Backshophoss

At least that S motor finally found a home.
When did IRM get the S motor?
  by Tadman

I've seen it there, would be cool to have an operating S motor. I know little about these but they must be rather simple and over-engineered, perhaps not too tough to get operating. IRM has a handsome budget (not like they don't work for it though!) if you've ever seen just how much running equipment they have. You don't see a lot of museums with multiple operating six-axle diesels or 2-D+D-2 motors. For that matter, 802 might be the only operable "big motor" (IE larger than steeple cab) in the country.
  by H.F.Malone

NYC/PC S-motor was moved west on the Boston & Albany (CR) in early 1989, headed to IRM. While not yet restored, IRM did install (temporarily) a trolley pole and ran it on their 600VDC overhead line!!

It had been stored behind the US Post Office bulk mail facility, right against the embankment of the road connector to downtown (RT 34?).
  by Backshophoss

The S motor dates back to when NYC installed 3rd rails to Grand Central in 1904 and was a jack of all trades
type motor,but normally worked switching/moving trains at GCT to/from the yard at Mott Haven in the Bronx.
Most of Central's LD fleet was serviced at Mott Haven.
Built as a 1-D-1 but after an accident near Williams Bridge on the Harlem line,all the S motors were
modified to 2-D-2 and had a MAS of 45 mph imposed by the state.
Designed by GE engineer Asa Batchelder,was an almost bullet proof motor.
Orignally classed as L,then T,and finally S around 1908.
They had mini pans to use the overhead 3rd rail in GCT.
  by Tadman

If it was still operable, would it be the oldest operable locomotive in the US?
  by GP40MC 1116

runningwithscalpels wrote:A whole string of both. Probably 6 or so FL-9's and plenty of neutered SPV's. When passing Ikea on 95 you can see them.
Any idea why they are still in New Haven? Are they just awaiting scrapping and/or other disposition?
  by DutchRailnut

still for sale both cars and 6 FL-9's
  by Ridgefielder

Tadman wrote:If it was still operable, would it be the oldest operable locomotive in the US?
How old are those steeple cabs on the Iowa Traction?
  by Tadman

It appears the really old stuff was scrapped around 1973 and the remaining motors are all 1920-ish vintage.
  by GP40MC 1116

DutchRailnut wrote:still for sale both cars and 6 FL-9's
I don't see any information on CDOT's website for this. Do you have any information?
  by DutchRailnut

try their telephone number they will transfer you to state assets disposal.