• 2015 Blizzard... (Or Lackthereof....)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sullivan1985

airman00 wrote:News radio said amtrak (for NEC trains) on modified schedule. That's all I heard. Don't know what that entails or if they too might shut down.
All NJT services will end at 8PM. The last trains, buses and light rail departures will make all stop to their destination.
  by Launcher

airman00 wrote:News radio said amtrak (for NEC trains) on modified schedule. That's all I heard. Don't know what that entails or if they too might shut down.
Nothing running beyond New York. In our area, Amtrak trains are modified/reduced/delayed but not totally cancelled. I imagine this is cleanup time on the DC-NY corridor as there are NO flights operating at many airports. Borderline devastating storms like this are Amtrak's time to shine!
  by Launcher

morris&essex4ever wrote:So much for global warming.
Really? Can you debunk any other myths with proof by an example?
  by nick11a

Well, the news said that weatherman put their reputations on the line that there would be a blizzard.... and it's officially a bust.

Well, looks like we're only in for 6-10 inches of snow at most for much of the northern side of the state. Whoops.
  by nick11a

RVL and NEC are coming back online as we speak on a weekend schedule.
  by Roadgeek Adam

So from what NJ Transit has: All but the Montclair-Boonton, Port Jervis and Gladstone are running.
  by nick11a

Roadgeek Adam wrote:So from what NJ Transit has: All but the Montclair-Boonton, Port Jervis and Gladstone are running.
Well, from what the news are saying, the issue of restoring service was more of assembling crews than anything else.

PS, I edited the name of this thread to more accurately reflect the impact of this storm on New Jersey.
  by airman00

nick11a wrote:Well, the news said that weatherman put their reputations on the line that there would be a blizzard.... and it's officially a bust.

Well, looks like we're only in for 6-10 inches of snow at most for much of the northern side of the state. Whoops.
Well Boston and the new england area in general is getting slammed with 2-3 ft of snow... So it DID happen, just not here. Officially they said the storm moved east. I heard about 50 miles eastward? Anyway that was enough to spare us the worst. It is best to err on the side of caution and be prepared in any event. Safety first is what I say. Anyway not to get off topic but I took a meteorology class in college and I remember the teacher telling us that forecasting is not an exact science. A few miles east or west can make a HUGE difference in the track of a storm and how much precipitation or winds we get.

Imagine if it happened the other way around... they forecasted 6+ inches and we got 2-3 feet? Then we'd really be in trouble. Think stranded trains, etc...
  by nick11a

airman00 wrote:
nick11a wrote:Well, the news said that weatherman put their reputations on the line that there would be a blizzard.... and it's officially a bust.

Well Boston and the new england area in general is getting slammed with 2-3 ft of snow... So it DID happen, just not here. Officially they said the storm moved east. I heard about 50 miles eastward? Anyway that was enough to spare us the worst. It is best to err on the side of caution and be prepared in any event. Safety first is what I say. Anyway not to get off topic but I took a meteorology class in college and I remember the teacher telling us that forecasting is not an exact science. A few miles east or west can make a HUGE difference in the track of a storm and how much precipitation or winds we get.

Imagine if it happened the other way around... they forecasted 6+ inches and we got 2-3 feet? Then we'd really be in trouble. Think stranded trains, etc...
Oh yes, it did happen, just not in New Jersey. While done out of an abundance of caution based on the best information provided by the best of weather experts, this became an overstated state of emergency.
  by Roadgeek Adam

nick11a wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:So from what NJ Transit has: All but the Montclair-Boonton, Port Jervis and Gladstone are running.
Well, from what the news are saying, the issue of restoring service was more of assembling crews than anything else.

PS, I edited the name of this thread to more accurately reflect the impact of this storm on New Jersey.
Well based on NJ Transit now, the Montclair-Boonton and Gladstone will not operate today but will tomorrow.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:It's never ending glee for these weather nerds in predicting this storm.I just hope; like the Super Bowl,this storm doesn't live up to all the hype.
Hate to say I told you so. The Weather Channel started this panic first,then all the local stations followed suit. In fact, one local meterologist even said that this storm was like their "Super Bowl". Only station I heard get it right was WRNJ radio in Hackettstown. They weren't predicting anything like what the fear mongers on the major networks were.
  by Steampowered

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:
CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:It's never ending glee for these weather nerds in predicting this storm.I just hope; like the Super Bowl,this storm doesn't live up to all the hype.
Hate to say I told you so. The Weather Channel started this panic first,then all the local stations followed suit. In fact, one local meterologist even said that this storm was like their "Super Bowl". Only station I heard get it right was WRNJ radio in Hackettstown. They weren't predicting anything like what the fear mongers on the major networks were.
NJ12 said the night before the storm was going to be bust, and predicted half the amount foretasted. The weather channel is the least reliable, and worse channel to watch .
  by BigDell

My family out in Montauk saw some of the NJ posts about the lack of a storm and how it was all overstated. They then sent me a bunch of photos of the 5ft snow drifts, the snow covering the LIRR tracks, the sleepy seaside town under a HUGE blanket of snow and said they'd predicted it perfectly for them -- so I counted my blessings and was happy to only have 6" of easy powder to shovel. I asked for an update on the LIRR Montauk branch just for kicks. :-)
My son woke up Tuesday morning at 3:30 for some water, I peaked out the window and saw nothing was going on at that point, and I was hearing the LV trains in the distance so I knew things were moving at least. It was nice to hear the horn at 2AM…. Hope everyone stayed safe.
Bigdell
  by airman00

Yes the forecasters got it wrong, for NEW JERSEY. As was stated Long Island and New England area are buried. Instead of bashing the weather folks we should be grateful as the previous poster Mr. Dell just said. Because we could've been digging out 30 inches of snow. As far as trains go... Closing or shutting down the system is/was a good idea. I will say it again, what if they forecasted 6" and we got 3 feet? What if trains then got stranded and people froze to death?

And just because we dodged a bullet with this particular storm doesn't mean the gun is empty. Still plenty of winter left! Already there could be some accumulating snow coming up sunday night/monday, and I saw the farmers almanac forecasting some kind of snowstorm for northeast in early February. (not always sure the farmers almanac is right, but still...) So I say it is better to play it safe and close things down, than to risk peoples lives!

Ok I apoligize for the rant, getting off the soapbox now.
  by CLamb

Star-Ledger columnist Paul Muleshine criticized the NJT and MTA shutdowns. http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... mulsh.html

A sample:
A hint to the state transportation people: If you want people to get out of their cars and take the train, then don't shut down the service at the very moment it's most needed.