• Engineer for a day, 1979 photos

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BM6569

Hi all,

Just got done scanning a bunch of slides of my uncles for him. There was a box of slides from when he participated in engineer for a day in May of 1979. I had posted a few pics from these several years ago (from a different camera) but these are different shots and haven't been seen in 30 plus years! He and his wife boarded at Mineola and rode in the cab to Long Island City. I'll post them on here for you to enjoy. How many places can you identify? I don't know the LIC branch that well. I'll post the pictures in order of them being taken.
lirr1.jpg
lirr2.jpg
lirr3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BM6569 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by BM6569

more
lirr4.jpg
lirr5.jpg
lirr6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BM6569

and more
lirr7.jpg
lirr8.jpg
lirr9.jpg
  by BM6569

more more more
lirr10.jpg
lirr11.jpg
lirr12.jpg
  by BM6569

some more
lirr13.jpg
lirr14.jpg
lirr15.jpg
  by BM6569

last two
lirr16.jpg
lirr17.jpg
  by docsteve

Starting at the 11:45 p.m. posting,
Coming out of the Jamaica Station/Morris Park/Richmond Hill Yard complex:
(1) west of 89th avenue (the road Richmond Hill Yard is on, right-rear of the photo) with the elevated subway line over Jamaica Avenue in the distance;
(2) the Richmond Hill station (just beyond the subway overpass);
Starting at the station and going westward:
(3 and 4) there is a viaduct leading leading into Forest Park
[Now into the 11:46 p.m. posting]
(5) in Forest Park, and
(6) I don't there recall there being any crossovers between Richmond Hill station and Fresh Pond, so the crossover might be at the eastern limits of the Fresh Pond Yard, but I'm not certain on that.

Hope this helps.

S
  by MattAmity90

The very first one is the train pulling into Merillon Avenue, and then going through the Jamaica curve with an Eastbound M1 above.
  by scopelliti

Here are a couple reprocessed (cleaning up the overall red and adding some contrast):
lirr4.jpg
lirr3.jpg
lirr1.jpg
  by scopelliti

And three more (these are a little tough due to color shift due to age):
lirr5.jpg
lirr6.jpg
lirr7.jpg
  by BM6569

Wow thats fantastic! Thanks
  by SwingMan

The last one is the crossover just west of Pond Tower.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Cant Tell you what Number it is, but its a Power Pack an F unit, 600 through 618.