Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MattAmity90

Nope, they only go up to #7836, 836 M7 cars. Although, when the M3's came out they still were numbered in the 9000's. So I'm guessing the M9's will be numbered from #7837 to whatever amount of M9 cars will hit the rails, so with the incoming 62 cars I think, they would be numbered #7837-#7898.
  by NYR99

I highly doubt that. The M1s and M3s were basically identical, and could be used in the same consist, that is what they were numbered the same. The M7s and M9s will be completely different from each other, and will no be able to be coupled to each other for regular revenue service. Just look at MNR's M7A sand M8s.
  by MattAmity90

What is going to be the difference between a M7 car and a M9? I saw a sketch, but I think that was a prototype sketch or first draft in which it looked like a M8 without the overhead catenary wires and pantographs. They wouldn't use the 9000 numbers, would they?
  by Doc Emmet Brown

When First delivered, The M-3's Could Not be coupled with the M-1's. The Electronics in the couplers were different. There was originally no plan to run them together. Then the RR saw the shortsightedness of this plan, to say nothing of the M-3's blowing out substations, because they were drawing too much power.
It became a game during the Morning Rush hours. Someone would Go... 1, 2, 3!! on the Radio, and everyone would go to P4 on the m-3s at the same time. Substations would blow, and had to reset themselves. Not making this up.
So they finally had a program where they Reconfigured the electronics in all the couplers On the M-3's so they could run with the M-1's. I dont recall how many months it took. Take a Close look at a Coupler on an M-3. Below the coupling pin, there is a closed box, with a green pin... when the trains couple, that green pin gets pushed in, and the elctronics box opens, and they plug into each other.
While this is an M-1.. its the best view of a coupler I could Find. As the trains couple up, that door below the coupling pin, is pushed open by the trains as those green Buttons hit each other. The door drops down out of the way, and the cars plug into each other..
I dont know if Steve has this on his slang Page, but we usually called the coupling Pin the Bulls Prick, unless there were ladies around...
By the way, the M-3's will never run with the M-7's completely different coupler, and design. Dont know about the M-9's.
Also in the artists Conception of the LIRR M-9.. they are numbered 4401 and 4402.
http://www.mta.info/news/2013/09/19/new ... lirr-fleet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Doc Emmet Brown

just the equipment with Coupling Pins instead of Traditional Knuckles. We called em the Bulls Prick. While working a drill crew, occasionally the Coupling pins did not line up right, and one would break. If you had a good yardmaster, or car inspector, they would keep it quiet and replace it. Was only a matter of rebolting a new one on. If you broke the electronics package you were screwed. $$$$$$$$. By the way, the M-7's are much more uhhh... well endowed than the M-1's or M-3's... pin is much bigger...
  by MACTRAXX

MattAmity90 wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:In addition to 9946, you don't want 9945 either, those of course are the Colin Ferguson cars which used to be 9892 and 9893.

9771 of course is the original M3, and I was looking at the other numbers and saw 9770, and I'm thinking that's a M1 car, the last.

In addition to that, does anyone know what the current status is on M7 #7001?

You got the numbering system wrong, LIRR starts with 01(thus 01-02; 03-04, etc). 9771 was paired with 9772, and 9770 was an M1.

And what about M7 7001? Last I checked it is somewhere between the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic.

I know the numbering system:

M1:#9001-#9770
M3:#9771-#9946 (#9945 and #9946 are the Colin Ferguson cars #9891/#9893? and #9892)
M7:#7001-#7836
C1: #4000 Series?
C3: #5001-?
DC30's: #401-#5??
I wonder what the M9 cars will be numbered? I know it won't be in the #9000 series.

Nice riddle by the way!
Matt and Everyone: M3s 9891-9892 were the Ferguson cars - renumbered to 9945 and 9946...
The LIRR M3s were numbered from 9771-9944...The MNCR M3s 8000-8141
(MNCR's group were built in 1984-85; the LIRR M3s 1985-86)

9893-9894 are a one of a kind pair with revised interiors and colors resembling a M7...

MNCR once had 178 M1 cars built 1971-72 numbering from 8200-8377

There were 10 LIRR C1 cars - 5 married pairs - 3001-2, 3003-4, 3005-6, 3007-8, 3009-10.

The 4000 series were once used for the eight 70s era Turbine/Electric cars: 4001 to 4004 for the Garrett cars and
4005 to 4008 for the GE cars...The LIRR now uses 4000s (coaches) and 5000s (cab cars) on their C3 fleet...

DE30s: 400s (straight Diesel); DM30s: 500s (dual modes)

MTA also uses the 4000s now on the 338 car MNCR M7 fleet...and the 9000s (M6) and from 9100 up on MNCR's M8 fleet...
There will be no duplication of numbers between LIRR M3s and MNCR M8s which will not reach the 9700 series...

MACTRAXX
  by keyboardkat

As long as you're dreaming, why not include at least an oval of track with third rail installed, and a 750v. D.C. power source, so you could operate your pair of M-3s? Perhaps one of those large Onan diesel generators (which produces A.C.) hooked up to a rectifier device would do it.
I had read somewhere that the M-3s had superior performance to the M-1s, with much faster acceleration. That's why they blew substations. In addition to changing the coupler electrical configuration, the railroad had to modify the M-3s to "slow them down" so they could operate in trains with M-1s. Is this not true?
  by Backshophoss

The M-3/M-3A's were just a bit more power hungry then designed,while they
didn't blowout Substations on the former NYC 3rd rail,the voltage drop at the
far ends of a substation section was noticed.
  by amtrakhogger

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:When First delivered, The M-3's Could Not be coupled with the M-1's. The Electronics in the couplers were different. There was originally no plan to run them together. Then the RR saw the shortsightedness of this plan, to say nothing of the M-3's blowing out substations, because they were drawing too much power.
It became a game during the Morning Rush hours. Someone would Go... 1, 2, 3!! on the Radio, and everyone would go to P4 on the m-3s at the same time. Substations would blow, and had to reset themselves. Not making this up.
So they finally had a program where they Reconfigured the electronics in all the couplers On the M-3's so they could run with the M-1's. I dont recall how many months it took. Take a Close look at a Coupler on an M-3. Below the coupling pin, there is a closed box, with a green pin... when the trains couple, that green pin gets pushed in, and the elctronics box opens, and they plug into each other.
While this is an M-1.. its the best view of a coupler I could Find. As the trains couple up, that door below the coupling pin, is pushed open by the trains as those green Buttons hit each other. The door drops down out of the way, and the cars plug into each other..
I dont know if Steve has this on his slang Page, but we usually called the coupling Pin the Bulls Prick, unless there were ladies around...
By the way, the M-3's will never run with the M-7's completely different coupler, and design. Dont know about the M-9's.
Also in the artists Conception of the LIRR M-9.. they are numbered 4401 and 4402.
http://www.mta.info/news/2013/09/19/new ... lirr-fleet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max brake to P4, pickem up off the floor!