Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bry93

My son was hired as an Assistant Conductor in 6/13. He recently applied for Engineer, and yesterday he received an email inviting him to the Engineer test at Hillside on 10/27. I remember how much stress there was during the AC tests during training, so my question is this: If he was accepted into Engineer training and then subsequently failed a test, would he be bumped back to AC or simply terminated from the LIRR
  by krispy

I'm not the definitive authority on this but since he's been on for more than a year he should revert to his previous craft, should that occur. But if he passed his AC tests, then it shouldn't be as rough this time around. He's been through the process once before, the material should be fresh in his mind so with some hard work and focus he should be good to go. Good luck!
  by inthebag

bry93 wrote:My son was hired as an Assistant Conductor in 6/13. He recently applied for Engineer, and yesterday he received an email inviting him to the Engineer test at Hillside on 10/27. I remember how much stress there was during the AC tests during training, so my question is this: If he was accepted into Engineer training and then subsequently failed a test, would he be bumped back to AC or simply terminated from the LIRR
He can always go back to AC. If he goes into the engineer training program, he doesn't lose his spot on the AC roster as long as he continues to pay union dues.
  by emfinite

There have been a couple of Engineer Trainees who decided in the 11th hour during their qualifying exams that they wanted to go back to being an AC. The railroad let them go back. Shouldn't be an issue.
  by onorclose7

If he has the mindset of failure is not an option, this would be a non issue.
  by NYCrails

I will be there myself. I just passed phase 1 for Yardmaster 2 months ago but there is no room for me right now so in the mean time why not go for the craft I really wanted which is Engineer . Plus while the book of rules is still fresh in my head.
  by onorclose7

I want to know why someone who is going to be responsible for a train load of 1200 passengers has his mommy or daddy asking these questions. Perhaps he should choose a different career path.
  by Datenail

Congratulations on your son being considered for engineer. The requirements for an assistant conductor far exceed those of an engineers on the LIRR and in my opinion, if he passed the assistant conductors exams, he'll have no trouble passing the engineer exams. Please tell him to rest easy but I wonder if he is making a wise choice. The future on the LIRR and leading craft is train service not engine service. Just my thoughts.
  by NYCrails

Datenail wrote:Congratulations on your son being considered for engineer. The requirements for an assistant conductor far exceed those of an engineers on the LIRR and in my opinion, if he passed the assistant conductors exams, he'll have no trouble passing the engineer exams. Please tell him to rest easy but I wonder if he is making a wise choice. The future on the LIRR and leading craft is train service not engine service. Just my thoughts.
Meh , I've been in the RR going on 4 years and I've never known or met an unhappy Engineer.
  by bry93

I want to know why someone who is going to be responsible for a train load of 1200 passengers has his mommy or daddy asking these questions. Perhaps he should choose a different career path.
onorclose7

Wow...that was harsh. I never thought taking an interest in my son's career would illicit such a response. For the record, that was my question, not his question. I have never worked for the RR, so when I am looking for info. I have found the wealth of experience on this board a valuable resource. And if my son does go into engine service I am still going to seek the advice of you guys/gals because the first time he is operating a train and he calls his daddy because he doesn't recognize a signal, I will tell him to stop the train until I check with this board.
  by onorclose7

Datenail, train service employees will fade away in the future with the advent of electronic fare collection. Trains don't move without an engineer so I believe that he is making a wise choice.
  by onorclose7

Bry93, I meant no harm with my comment but some of the new hires make me shake my head sometimes.
  by NYR99

onorclose7 wrote:Datenail, train service employees will fade away in the future with the advent of electronic fare collection. Trains don't move without an engineer so I believe that he is making a wise choice.
*cough* Air Train *cough*
  by Morisot

A fleet of Engineers and train crew for many, many years are a whole lot cheaper than building/re-vamping the line between Jamaica and Montauk to run like airtrain! It's a whole different animal!
  by Morisot

Want to sit in an Air Train seat for 2 1/2 hours?

Ever see the bathroom on an Air Train? (It's a trick question!)