Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by peanut1

With the LIRR M3's soon to be out the door it has been my dream to own a pair. Who would I contact at the LIRR to go about this operation? Was wondering if anybody here could help. Thanks in advance.
  by RGlueck

Contact the Purchasing Agent, Jamaica Station.

Question: Where are you going to put them?

The rail road will likely not allow them to remain on company property. Furthermore, you will probably get them in stripped condition. There may be fibers and chemicals on the cars that the state will demand you pay to have removed. You might get a cab sectioned from a car, if you happen to hit them on a good day, but my guess is, unless you are a bona-fide museum or preservation organization, they will rather have them hauled off and cut up in Mexico, for whatever established price the contract states.

Good luck, and let us know what ensues. I will be very interested.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Case in point: Look at the M-2s. All are being scrapped due to environmental issues and none will be heading for preservation/restoration.
  by peanut1

I am going to give it a shot and see what happens, in the meantime I have to get in contact with the purchasing agent and see if I could get a good pair. I am just a regular person who loves trains and happen to love the M3's so will see what I can do.
  by DutchRailnut

storage space 170 x 10 x 12 good luck, now as for donating, don't think they will give away 90 tons of scrap metal mostly stainless and copper and other light metals.
  by RGlueck

I commend you on making the effort. You have a great number of obstacles in front of you, but what the Hell. The worst they can say is "no".
  by scopelliti

Actually the risk is they say "Yes"! I would be interested in some of the financials... let's see. You need to buy it, then you need a place to park it, you need it moved to that place, and there is a certain amount of maintenance expected.

If nothing else, I wish you luck. It would be a very neat thing to do.
  by frankie

If all else fails, you can always go to HO scale!

Frankie
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Just dont let them give you 9946
  by Crabman1130

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Just dont let them give you 9946
  by RGlueck

Okay, I give up. What is the story on 9946?
  by Crabman1130

It's the car Colin Ferguson murdered 6 people in. Dec 7, 1993.

It was renumbered from 9892.
  by peanut1

No I am not taking 9946, I am going to try for a blueliner. I will keep you all posted on what goes on with this.
  by LongIslandTool

I had the same dream for many years but with an MP54 when the railroad was getting rid of them.

If you can solve all the problems of finding a place to put a railcar, zoning and moving, your best chance for buying one would be to purchase it from the outfit that buys the fleet for scrap when the railroad sells it. The scrap dealer would most likely be easier to deal with than the LIRR and the LIRR would likely be fearful of the public relations backlash accompanying a private sale. The railroad would also shun putting together bid documents for a single set of cars.

It's not unusual for those getting the scrap contract to sell of portions of the lot to other companies and individuals.
  by peanut1

@longislandtool, if I went in that direction and waited for the M3's to start heading for the scrapper, who in fact does the scrapping in terms of a company if you would know?