• PD Tower pre-PRR position light signals

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/patcho ... ignals.htm

For many years prior to flashing color train order signals located on the position light mast, train crews were notified of train orders to be picked up by a system of metal order boards and colored globe lanterns.

Each block station had a bracket lagged into the frame of the tower and/or depot building / block office. Into this bracket would be inserted a yellow train order metal board which was painted yellow on the side facing the train for which orders were to be picked up and black with a white stripe on the other side, signifying for trains approaching in that direction that the order board was not set out for them.

In earlier years (prior to 1927) a red board was used to indicate form 31 orders were to be picked up and, as they needed to be signed for by the conductor and engineer, they had to be distinctly different in aspect. The last year of form 31 orders was 1926. After that, only yellow boards were in use for form 19 orders.

The order flag or order board was used in daylight applications and at night, the board was hung with a lantern with matching globe (yellow for form 19 orders and red for form 31 orders).

This image shows a yellow train order board with lantern hung out at PD tower in 1971. As it was a very gray, dreary, icy, wintry day, the board AND the lantern were hung to further catch the attention of the engineer / conductor of the approaching westbound train and notify them that they had orders to pick up.

The days of kerosene lanterns had long passed, so the train order lanterns were wired for use with a yellow electric light bulb. (Dave Keller photo, archive and data)
  by ExCon90

I think that was also PRR practice at the time before they adopted the flashing light.
  by krispy

Hall had a booklet dating back to the pre-MTA era describing the use of metal flags, and a couple of towers had some still kicking around when I started. Hall also had a group (at least 3 in a row) of metal flag sockets with unique power plugs (big rectangular plugs with 2 holes for the power) along one side of the bay windows. They were long disused and the paint used to cover them was peeling. I always wondered if they were for different flag signals, or to indicate to trains for different branches that they had paper work. I guess it was good idea back in the pre-radio era, (looks like it would be hard to see, especially from a cab of a steamer) but can't imagine any other system now than withholding the signal until contact was made with the crew and acknowledgement is made about receiving paperwork.
  by emfinite

I have the old metal flag and socket from SG cabin. On one side, it's yellow with semi-circular wear marks from a lantern swinging on it and the other side is painted black and has a white line diagonally across it. I've never seen any reference of what the white line represented. I'm guessing if the OPR left the flag displayed in error, a train traveling the opposite direction would disregard the flag as it had the white line. Could you confirm Krispy?
  by Head-end View

Let me get this straight.........According to the photo and post above, as late as 1971 the metal flag with lantern was still being used on LIRR as an order-board instead of the flashing red light on the signal mast? This at the same time that those shiny new state-of-the-art M-1's were flying along the rails, at least in electrified territory? Hard to believe. When did the flashing-red-light become the standard order-board? I remember seeing the one at Nassau Tower as far back as 1983.
  by nyandw

Head-end View wrote:"...According to the photo and post above as late as 1971 the metal flag with lantern was still being used on LIRR as an order-board, instead of the flashing red light on the signal mast? Hard to believe. When did the flashing-red-light become the standard order-board? .. as far back as 1983.
Head-end View: Let me clarify a bit: Here we have PD 1970

RS3 #1559 on Patchogue-Babylon "Scoot" getting orders westbound at PD tower 1970 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller

C420 #223 and the "Cannonball" getting orders westbound at PD Tower 1972 Photo/Archive: Dave keller

Dave Keller's photo was: A yellow train order board with lantern hung out at PD tower in 1971. As it was a very gray, dreary, icy, wintry day, the board AND the lantern were hung to further catch the attention of the engineer / conductor of the approaching westbound train and notify them that they had orders to pick up. The days of kerosene lanterns had long passed, so the train order lanterns were wired for use with a yellow electric light bulb. (Dave Keller photo, archive and data)

Keller took the photo on the spot.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

They were used at some towers until at least the mid 70's I remember them.
  by nyandw

"...Each block station had a bracket lagged into the frame of the tower and/or depot building / block office. Into this bracket would be inserted a yellow train order metal board which was painted yellow on the side facing the train for which orders were to be picked up and black with a white stripe on the other side, signifying for trains approaching in that direction that the order board was not set out for them..." Research: Dave Keller

I photo of this would "perhaps" be very rare, but... Anyone? :-)