• NJT Conductor Gets Ticket in Red Bank

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cobra30689

They'll get over it. Besides..... eastbound trains can't really hang back from the station. First and foremost..... there is the phase gap and 2 grade crossings immediately west of the station (one of which being Route 35.....lesser of two evils i'd rather block the roads in town than 35).....where are you going to stop? White Road? Then hope you can make a run for it to get across the phase gap while running on an approach (remember there is an automatic on the curve east of the 35 crossing)?
  by philipmartin

That's interesting, at least for me, too. I didn't know that electric trains could get hung up in phase gaps.
  by Steve F45

39:4-94. Railroad blocking highway No employee of a steam or electric railroad company shall operate a locomotive, train or crossing gate in such a manner as to unnecessarily prevent or interfere with the use of a highway for the purpose of travel.
  by talltim

Steve F45 wrote:39:4-94. Railroad blocking highway No employee of a steam or electric railroad company shall operate a locomotive, train or crossing gate in such a manner as to unnecessarily prevent or interfere with the use of a highway for the purpose of travel.
Are you OK with a diesel then? Or does it have to be a diesel mechanical? :wink:
  by DutchRailnut

no matter what law says, Joe Blow the local cop is trying to give state of NJ a traffic ticket ???? sure that will work.
  by philipmartin

A couple of hours ago, the dispatcher told 2312 (a diesel train) to lay back, not enter Red Bank station, because the opposing train was coming to Lloyd,(out of Matawan.) When the opposing train pulled out of Middletown, the dispatcher gave 2312 permission to enter Red bank station. It's a five minute run between Middletown and Red Bank. 2312 has a New York train scheduled close behind him.
  by ThirdRail7

DutchRailnut wrote:no matter what law says, Joe Blow the local cop is trying to give state of NJ a traffic ticket ???? sure that will work.
I've seen this occur in Red Bank before. They ticketed the engineer for blocking the crossing. He was silly for coming off the engine to argue and telling the cop to F-off. The train was held at a stop signal for 10 minutes and it tied everything up.

Still it wasn't the crew that held the train. NJT should advise Red Bank if this keeps up, they will stop servicing the station.
  by philipmartin

ThirdRail7 wrote: NJT should advise Red Bank if this keeps up, they will stop servicing the station.
Sounds like an Academy Bus spy in our midst. :-)
  by philipmartin

Thank you for the factual information, GME.
  by Sirsonic

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and I doubt it will be the last. As always, I'll happy to inform the police that my name is Ronnie Hakim (or however it's spelled) and my address in 1 Penn Plaza in Newark, and to make sure to send the ticket there.
  by philipmartin

Ronnie Hakim is a nice lady, who doesn't need any "parking" tickets. I got on a crowded train in Penn Station (NY) a few weeks ago and spotted her standing there. She didn't like being stared at, so I moved on.
  by philipmartin

It's good to know, GME.
  by Passaic River Rat

This was a really interesting post. FWIW, the agency didn't seem to dispute its status as a common carrier in its filing under FD 35745. They asserted the STB lacked jurisdiction over local government authorities in transactions like the relocation of Princeton Station under 49USC10501(c)(2)(a).

Either way, I am pretty sure the charges will be dismissed.
Trainlawyer wrote:The word of the day is 'estoppel'. In layman's terms this means that you may not have it both ways.

The question is really one of assertion of jurisdiction or rather the lack thereof. Without going into detail on the lack of merit in the Surface Transportation Board's decision in FD35745, the assertion by New Jersey Transit, upheld by the Board, is that under 49USC10501(c)(2)(a) they are not a common carrier engaged in interstate commerce. If they are in fact not an interstate common carrier subject being regulated as such then they do not have the protections from local regulation which accompany that status. Should Transit's counsel use the Interstate Commerce exemption here it opens many cans of worms, for them not the least of which is the Princeton Branch.

Now since Conrail is a regulated common carrier using the same crossing I can see a situation developing where Conrail could conceivably be permitted to block the crossing while Transit is not.

GME
  by philipmartin

Another extremely worthwhile post, GME.