• D line v commuter rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by R36 Combine Coach

The EGE wrote:The Orange Line gets extended to West Roxbury.
I would seem to prefer extended down Washington Street to the city limits or Needham.
  by WatertownCarBarn

Where's Cook's Junction?
  by deathtopumpkins

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
The EGE wrote:The Orange Line gets extended to West Roxbury.
I would seem to prefer extended down Washington Street to the city limits or Needham.
Extending it via the current Needham Line ROW would be far cheaper and easier (existing railroad right-of-way complete with station locations) than building it under Washington St (several miles of new subway), and looks to me like it would for the most part far better serve the development patterns. I'd end it at a big park-and-ride station by VFW Pkwy, and give the existing Needham stops to a branch of the D line. N line anyone? :P
WatertownCarBarn wrote:Where's Cook's Junction?
If I understand it correctly, that would be here: http://goo.gl/maps/ZsUkv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Mcoov

Or how about "E" line to Needham Junction (Arborway line becomes F, potential F branch is now G), and the Needham line is extended to Millis (or even Medway somehow) with DMUs?
  by deathtopumpkins

Mcoov wrote:Or how about "E" line to Needham Junction (Arborway line becomes F, potential F branch is now G), and the Needham line is extended to Millis (or even Medway somehow) with DMUs?
I think ideally we'd like to not have to rename any existing service, though that would be the only way to keep the branches in order.
  by typesix

WatertownCarBarn wrote:Where's Cook's Junction?
Between Newton Highlands and Eliot stations, around the curve area.