• Visitor from UK looking for place to stay on MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by WelshPete

Hi.

will be visiting from UK in June and looking for somewhere to stay in the greater Boston area. Could anybody advise any reasonable budget places to stay which are near an MBTA station - Boston itself is very expensive - would also need a Saturday service back to Boston as departing on Amtrak at 1155 on a saturday. Of course if somebody could advise a place on the Worcester line could join my amtrak train at Framingham or Worcester.

Thanks
Pete, Wales, UK
  by Mcoov

WelshPete wrote:Of course if somebody could advise a place on the Worcester line could join my amtrak train at Framingham or Worcester.
Sounds like you're taking the Lake Shore Limited. I would advise against boarding at Framingham. The LSL is notorious for being late.

Really, any place that can get you to South Station and/or Back Bay would be ideal. Suitable lines would be: Worcester, Franklin, Providence/Stoughton, and Middleboro. North-side lines would require a trip on the Orange Line to Back Bay, but could also work so long as it's not the Fitchburg: there is no service past Brandies/Roberts on weekends for a while.
  by Leo Sullivan

Out of town Rail fan friends usually stay at the Motel 6 Boston South Braintree 125 Union St, Braintree, MA ‎
(781) 848-7890 ‎ which is adjacent to the Braintree Commuter rail station and also to the Red Line
Rapid Transit Station. So, it is directly served from South Station and Downtown Boston, accesses the
transit system within the single fare area. It is also one change from the airport by the Silver Line.
Visit the MBTA website and see the various time fares which can be much better than single tickets.
LS
  by Komarovsky

Check out the Hilton Garden Inn in Worcester. It's about a 10 minute walk to the station and both weekday and weekend service is pretty good these days. I'd also imagine its quite a bit cheaper than the Boston hotel offerings.
  by djimpact1

Leo Sullivan wrote:Out of town Rail fan friends usually stay at the Motel 6 Boston South Braintree 125 Union St, Braintree, MA ‎
(781) 848-7890 ‎ which is adjacent to the Braintree Commuter rail station and also to the Red Line
Rapid Transit Station.
Though Leo's suggestion is indeed a kind one, I must ask you Pete to NOT consider this Motel 6. Though its location is indeed super convenient to the Braintree MBTA Station, I have seen quite unfavorable reviews concerning inconsistent cleanliness...that, and it is notorious for being a prime "in and out" motel for illegal activities (it has been in the local paper on more than one occasion).

With that said, you are correct that Boston itself can be expensive for some short stays, but ultimately you get what you pay for. If having your accommodations very close to an MBTA station (within walking distance) is indeed important, you certainly don't have to stay in Boston proper, but most lodging options near any MBTA rail service (which are of good quality) aren't super cheap...it's the "give & take" of having transit conveniently near lodging.

As a side option, you're more than welcome to get in touch with me off the board if you'd like...my e-mail is [email protected] I'd be happy to look at more options & get some further details of your travel dates/times. Otherwise, good luck!

- Rob
  by TrainManTy

Mcoov wrote:
WelshPete wrote:Of course if somebody could advise a place on the Worcester line could join my amtrak train at Framingham or Worcester.
Sounds like you're taking the Lake Shore Limited. I would advise against boarding at Framingham. The LSL is notorious for being late.
The eastbound Lake Shore Limited, train 48/448 is known for being late because it's coming all the way from Chicago and splits off the New York section at Albany. The westbound Boston section (449) has no issues...I regularly see it in Worcester running right on time.
  by jonnhrr

While it's not cheap (but not outrageous by Boston standards), I can recommend the Buckminster Hotel at Kenmore Sq. close to the Green Line Kenmore station. My wife and I stayed there after a night Red Sox game. Relatively quick trip into South Station via Green line/Red line.

http://www.bostonhotelbuckminster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon
  by edbear

There are a number of motels in the Woburn/Anderson Regional Transportation Center. Don't know the names. However, the Logan Express airport bus service has a terminal at the Anderson RTC. And you have the Lowell (and some Haverhill routings too) commuter rail to/from North Station and Amtrak's Downeaster service.
  by WelshPete

Many thanks for all the tips.

I've looked up all three suggestions that have been aired here, and Motel 6 was the cheapest and the reviews don't look too bad, but I'm mindful that it may have a previous reputation and have steered clear. Not much more expensive was the Hilton Garden Inn at Worcester and it looks an easy walk from the station, so I have gone for that, hopefully will get to see a little P&W action as well. As we will be getting the LSL ex Boston South on the following day (Sat June 7th) we have a choice of staying on in Worcester until early afternoon or take MBTA into the city for a safe 10.00am arrival and catch the Amtrak service from either of these locations. The Buckminster which was also suggested looks ideal but is wanting $458 all in for the night we are in town and is too expensive as we are on a bit of a budget. I did stay near Framingham a few years ago but it involved a taxi each way to and from MBTA which can be (but usually isn't) a hassle so I've decided against that this time.

So again, many thanks for the suggestions and I look forward to my brief visit to the Boston area. For the record me (and my father) are doing an Amtrak tour starting in NY, then we do Boston - Chicago - Flagstaff - LA - Emeryville - Chicago - Pittsburgh - Philly (Atlantic City) - NY.

Cheers
Pete
  by Komarovsky

Glad you found a place to stay. Worcester is also home to a new and fairly good sized CSX yard that you can get a pretty good look at from the station platforms. There are a few nice museums within a 10-15 minute walk as well. Hope you enjoy your stay!
  by Fred Rabin

From your itinerary, it looks like you'll be taking the California Zephyr through the Rockies to Denver. Beautiful scenery. In Denver, be sure to look around our new Union Station.
  by nomis

edbear wrote:There are a number of motels in the Woburn/Anderson Regional Transportation Center. Don't know the names. However, the Logan Express airport bus service has a terminal at the Anderson RTC. And you have the Lowell (and some Haverhill routings too) commuter rail to/from North Station and Amtrak's Downeaster service.
Several years ago, I did a trip up here and stayed at one of those hotels. It had a free shuttle service from the train station to the hotel to boot. I believe it was a reasonable $100/night pricing which was not Boston bloated.
  by WelshPete

ExCon90 wrote:I hope we're going to get a trip report after you get back.
I often compose a trip report after my visits to the USA, subject to having time to do so.

Some of my previous reports can be found here, along with some from other UK railfans....

http://www.usabyrail.co.uk/review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/url]
  by WelshPete

Fred Rabin wrote:From your itinerary, it looks like you'll be taking the California Zephyr through the Rockies to Denver. Beautiful scenery. In Denver, be sure to look around our new Union Station.
Yes, doing the CZ throughout. My favourite long distance train that Amtrak runs. Hopefully will be on time in Denver and get a look at new developments. Hoping for the usual layover so will be able to have a quick beer in the brewpub over the road.