Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by THIRD AVENUE EL

Hopefully you haven't been paying attention to the atrocious 'Commuter Action Group' (or the Jim Cameron personal promotion group), but he took a "survey" of his cronies and, as you might think, the results were predictably bad. A statement from Metro-North (in one of the articles Jimmy got himself quoted in) makes its sound like the railroad is going to file this right in the "circular fie" where it belongs.

On the other hand, I found this hilarious parody survey on Twitter. It's just like Jim's, "how would you grade the Commuter Acton Group": https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/28XZ62N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty ironic :-)
  by runningwithscalpels

LOL I know who's behind the parody. There was also an accompanying parody twitter account, but it got suspended (Butthurt Jimbo, yes?)

Of all the media coverage he got, at least the Courant tried treating it as the joke that it was, and there was a doozy of a quote:
Jim Cameron concedes that his commuter group's new survey of Metro-North riders is entirely unscientific, but he figures its grade for the railroad is close to the mark: Somewhere between a C- and a D+.
Because spamming Twitter and pandering to the annoyed on the New Haven Line is going to net you 600 unbiased responses that are indicative of the entire railroad's ridership...Jimbo's always good for a laugh, for sure.
  by DutchRailnut

hope we can link him to his crucifixion survey ;-)
  by lirr42

Hahaha. Luckily, it seems like the Twitter account has gotten back up on its feet. :wink:

The anti-survey is equally as scientific as the original one, so it looks like we're going to have to accept both results, or reject both results ;-)
  by Bill D

The sad thing is how the media has jumped on board with this survey of about 1/2 of a percent of the New Haven Line's riders. I noticed that among those blamed for the "problems" are fellow commuters (most likely those of us who have positive things to say about Metro North).

Bill
  by runningwithscalpels

I agree with the statement in the courant article though, fellow commuters are to blame in some areas: ie cars can only be kept so clean, if people weren't disrespectful slobs and picked their crap up instead of adopting the mentality of "oh, somebody else will pick it up, I'll just leave it here, whatevs." people would have less to complain about.

This weekend I rode the Harlem line and was reminded what a civil experience riding Metro North can be. Clean car (and bathroom, which I used willingly instead of out of dire necessity), less crowded, and got back to Southeast a few minutes early to boot! I suspect if respondents weren't all New Haven line passengers, the grade might go up a few points ;)
  by Bill D

runningwithscalpels wrote:I agree with the statement in the courant article though, fellow commuters are to blame in some areas: ie cars can only be kept so clean, if people weren't disrespectful slobs and picked their crap up instead of adopting the mentality of "oh, somebody else will pick it up, I'll just leave it here, whatevs." people would have less to complain about.
This is true, and there is no excuse other than laziness. I have never had a problem finding trash bins at any station platform. Cleaning crews cannot always get a train cleaned up, especially if there is a quick turn around time on the consist.

Bill
  by rpjs

My experience commuting on the Hudson line is that my fellow commuters are excellent at picking up after themselves and taking their trash with them, far better than back home in the UK. Also I love the way that when detraining at a busy station like GCT everyone standing in the aisle lets the people gettng up from the seats ahead of them go first. That would never happen with London commuters!
  by lirr42

Well, the results of the survey are in, and it turns out people are pretty unhappy with the Commuter Action Group:

http://bit.ly/jfasurvey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by BobLI

Wow, those comments are brutal!! I dont ride the RR to Conn. but it seems the counsel has outlived the purpose.
  by runningwithscalpels

lirr42 wrote:Well, the results of the survey are in, and it turns out people are pretty unhappy with the Commuter Action Group:

hey there, smart duck :)
  by lirr42

runningwithscalpels wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Well, the results of the survey are in, and it turns out people are pretty unhappy with the Commuter Action Group:

Was that you!?
  by runningwithscalpels

lirr42 wrote:
runningwithscalpels wrote:

Was that you!?
No, my beef was with his lack of knowledge of railroad history - I caught him in a lie once saying that Penn Central was around in 1983 ;)
  by lirr42

runningwithscalpels wrote:No, my beef was with his lack of knowledge of railroad history - I caught him in a lie once saying that Penn Central was around in 1983 ;)
Lack of knowledge related to pretty much everything related to railroads, probably.
  by Terrapin Station

runningwithscalpels wrote:I agree with the statement in the courant article though, fellow commuters are to blame in some areas: ie cars can only be kept so clean, if people weren't disrespectful slobs and picked their crap up instead of adopting the mentality of "oh, somebody else will pick it up, I'll just leave it here, whatevs." people would have less to complain about.

This weekend I rode the Harlem line and was reminded what a civil experience riding Metro North can be. Clean car (and bathroom, which I used willingly instead of out of dire necessity), less crowded, and got back to Southeast a few minutes early to boot! I suspect if respondents weren't all New Haven line passengers, the grade might go up a few points ;)
Yesterday on a PM Peak EB NHL train, the guy sitting next to me (well, two seats away) was eating popcorn. Pieces kept falling out of his hand and mouth. When he got up to leave I saw several pieces of popcorn on the seat and floor. SMH.