Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirr42

Bridgehampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, and Southampton.
  by nyandw

lirr42 wrote:Bridgehampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, and Southampton.
Thank you. :-) April 5-2014 Ok?
  by lirr42

I found the photos flipping through the photos on my phone, so they could have been taken anytime since last March.
  by emfinite

jhdeasy,

I think at one time, it was called Shell, but I believe it's referred to now as CP216. I recall the interlocking being reconfigured possibly 7-10 years ago, maybe the new name came with the new interlocking.

We would pick up an Amtrak crew by Q Tower, usually on the eastward passenger track. Sometimes it would be just an Engineer, sometimes an Engineer and Conductor and in one case, we had two Engineers. The "pilot" (the one qualified on the territory) is always given the preference to operate the train or not. The few times I went up there, the pilots didn't want to run it since they were not familiar with our cab signal acknowledging device and it's temporary suppression feature.

I never knew the reason why an Amtrak crew wouldn't be able to do the move between 216 and Harold and just hand the cars off to us. It could be that their crews are unfamiliar with how to properly haul the cars since they don't have training on them. It also wouldn't make sense to have Metro North handle them because then they would need two pilots. One between 216 and Harold (Amtrak) and another between Harold, into Long Island City yard, then via C Secondary and Montauk cut-off into Arch Street (LIRR). The LIRR crew could probably be cut out of the equation if Amtrak just accessed Arch Street via the North Runner and one of the Subs. Then it comes into question their qualification on the Arch Street lead. I can't recall if they're qualified in there or not. LIRR and NYAR are.

Hope this helps a little.
  by M1 9147

Yes Joe, Shell is now 216, and East Shell is now 218!
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Babylon yard from higbee lane 2004 or so
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Bayside 2005 Image
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Speonk Yard shortly after they Made it 261 and activated the signals.
  by nyandw

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Speonk Yard shortly after they Made it 261 and activated the signals.
Thanks Doc. What is "Made it 261"? Date? It's view east.
  by lirr42

I believe the Montauk Branch used to be MBS east of Mastic-Shirley, but in 2006 they extended "261" (ASC signalling, two-way traffic) out to Speonk when they re-did the signals at PD, JJD, and then the new SK interlocking.

I believe they also ran the cables out all the way to Montauk for the upcoming/ongoing Speonk-Montauk signalization project.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Thats looking west. all the low signals are at the west end of the yard tracks. Lirr42 explained it well enough. Its been 8 years if i try my head might explode lol.
  by nyandw

lirr42 and Doc: "All the low signals are at the west end of the yard tracks." OK, now I know and thank you for the clarification(s) and yes my ERROR to ID it as east view (duh) as the the station is on the south side: LIRR 1966 map: Image

Besides, most folks photo sunsets (in general) and it is west sunset view. Here's a shot you folks might like:
A really nice photo from Tom Collins: Cab car #5001, GP38-2 #266, F7 #s 619, 620 in new yard with new yard/old yard conversion still underway – Speonk , NY – c. 1997-1998 Thomas Collins photo, Dave Keller archive
  by EM2000

MBS? This is not Metro North. Signal rules (261, 251) are not Block Rules (Manual Block, Automatic Block) or Cab Signal rules. For instance, 261 Manual Block does exist.
  by PW team track

Nassau Tower, Mineola. October 21, 1991.